Greetings from Kingston, Ontario canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

torstar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Howdy folks

Thought I would drop by here to intro myself. I am a reletivly(sp) new person to the hobby. Which of course is why i am here. I just got back into the hobby after a few years, and i have a load of questions that i will be asking in the appropriate forums.

I am starting this 10 gallon after 90% of my fish died in my 5 gallon due to dropsy. I am confident none of the surviving fish have the disease since they have not shown any signs of it from me medicating them and adding the recommended addition of salt to the water. I have lots of pics of my fish that i am willing to share and will definitely take any criticisms about it (good or bad)
And since I am hear to learn and perhaps pass on what knowledge I may have I really don't think there is any such thing as bad criticism. ; )

6331931471_de23ef8282_m.jpg

Currently living in my tank are:

3 male and 1 female phantom tetras
2 female dalmation mollies
2 female bloodfin tetras ( giving them to a friend)
1 chinese algae eater
4 Ghost or "glass" shrimp (1 is noticbly a female since she has eggs within)
1 female Betta (emergency adoption)

I know the tank is sparse for vegitation atm but Petsmart has a 30% off plant sale Nov 9th- 15th so i will be picking up some shortly. I am also considering sand over gravel but know nothing about it beyond it looks great (the gravel in my tank is a hodgepodge of my previous tanks that i found..yeah i agree...it looks like crap)

Last edited:
:welcome: to AA! :)

Don't add the salt unless it's ick IMO, it's unecessary.

Is the tank cycled?

FYI, the Chinese Algae Eater grows 11 inches long, doesn't eat algae that much and will start wanting pellets, and sucks on fish's slime coats.

:welcome: to AA! :)

Don't add the salt unless it's ick IMO, it's unecessary.

Is the tank cycled?

FYI, the Chinese Algae Eater grows 11 inches long, doesn't eat algae that much and will start wanting pellets, and sucks on fish's slime coats.

Oh yes i cycled the tank. Thats the first thing i did before adding fish.

11 inches? holy smokes. I guess the guy at finaddicts here in kingston was off the mark. he said that it would only grow to a few inches and is the best algae eater (besides the clown pleco ...was sold out) for my size tank.

is the clown pleco then truly the best option or is there another algae eater you can suggest ?

Back
Top Bottom