Greetings from the Netherlands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura_NL

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, my name is Laura. I've started my first aquarium last month (it's just 19 days old) and have a lot to learn. I love plants and when I saw a video about aquascaping I was sold.

So far my 25 litre (5 gallon) tank contains Java Fern, Cryptocoryne Parva and Ludwigia Mini (the normal and super red one). Also I have 2 pieces of mopani wood but I had someone tell me (on a facebook group) that this wasn't the best choice for a beginner since it changes the water parameters alot. Also just got the tip it would be good for the plants to get a heater in the tank.

I just want to take things slow with the tank since I'm such a beginner and would be devastated if I bought an animal like fish or shrimp and they'd be extremely unhappy.

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions about were to go to with my tank. Since it's quite small I can imagine my choices are limited but I'm open to learn a lot from you guys, thanks for reading :)

Thank you melosu58!

Figured I could post a picture of my tank :) If it works...

20191112_111554.jpg

Hello, 5 gallons is the perfect size for a single betta or a pea puffer. You could also do an all shrimp tank.

Hello, 5 gallons is the perfect size for a single betta or a pea puffer. You could also do an all shrimp tank.

Those are 2 beautiful fish :flowers:

I'd rather have more then 1 of a species. It just looks like they would be lonely and it comes along a bit sad for me watching it.
Please understand I don't judge when someone has a single of a species since I get that there's nothing wrong with it and that the fish is happy. It's just a personal opinion from what I'd prefer.

But some shrimps would be great to look at and I think it's a nice tank for it. I kinda have some questions regarding them though (idk if I'm allowed to post them the introductions section).

- What species of shrimp is not too difficult to start with and keep happy?
- How many shrimps are a good start (5 gallon, 25 litre)?
- How do I control the population?

Of course I understand that I will have meet the shrimp's requirements first in my tank before buying them.

Back
Top Bottom