Happy to be here! Comet question about changing tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennalynnaustin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all :)

So excited to be a part of this forum. I have become deeply attached to the new edition of our family, Sparky the comet gold fish. I got sparky from a local town fair about a month ago and first started him in a glass bowl for about 2 days before I was able to buy his now 5 gallon tank. I have been reading quite a lot about comets and was thrilled to hear they can live decades and grow over a foot long however, I realize now that sparky is going to need a bigger tank for him to thrive! I started feeding sparky green beans and broccoli as well when I read that it was good for them to have variety in their diet. One thing that happend to sparky recently is that he turned from orange with black fins to a shiny silvery white. He has fluorescents lights in his current home, a well working filter, seems to be very healthy and is eating well. I read that his color change can be from lack of sunlight but will the lack of sun hurt him? I looked at him very closely and he does not seem to have ich. I even had my friend come over and look at him where she has treated her fish for ich before and she agreed it was not the case. I also read that when they go through adolescence they can change colors but is a one month old goldfish considerd an adolescent? Is sparky ok? I used water conditioner just in case. Also, my friend has a 100 gallon tank she said I could have, will sparky be able to adjust from a 5 to 100 gallon tank right away or should I put him in a 10 or 20 gal so he can get use to it? I want sparky to live a long healthy life and do not want to stunt his growth or crush his organs in a small environment. Any help would be lovely. Also, when would it be ok to get sparky a friend and what are the best things to keep in the tank as far as decor? Anything they enjoy more than others?

Jennalynnaustin said:
Hello all :)

So excited to be a part of this forum. I have become deeply attached to the new edition of our family, Sparky the comet gold fish. I got sparky from a local town fair about a month ago and first started him in a glass bowl for about 2 days before I was able to buy his now 5 gallon tank. I have been reading quite a lot about comets and was thrilled to hear they can live decades and grow over a foot long however, I realize now that sparky is going to need a bigger tank for him to thrive! I started feeding sparky green beans and broccoli as well when I read that it was good for them to have variety in their diet. One thing that happend to sparky recently is that he turned from orange with black fins to a shiny silvery white. He has fluorescents lights in his current home, a well working filter, seems to be very healthy and is eating well. I read that his color change can be from lack of sunlight but will the lack of sun hurt him? I looked at him very closely and he does not seem to have ich. I even had my friend come over and look at him where she has treated her fish for ich before and she agreed it was not the case. I also read that when they go through adolescence they can change colors but is a one month old goldfish considerd an adolescent? Is sparky ok? I used water conditioner just in case. Also, my friend has a 100 gallon tank she said I could have, will sparky be able to adjust from a 5 to 100 gallon tank right away or should I put him in a 10 or 20 gal so he can get use to it? I want sparky to live a long healthy life and do not want to stunt his growth or crush his organs in a small environment. Any help would be lovely. Also, when would it be ok to get sparky a friend and what are the best things to keep in the tank as far as decor? Anything they enjoy more than others?

Welcome to AA!
You are right that sparky will quickly outgrow his 5g tank and reach 12 inches or more in length. At the moment he would be classed as just a baby. :) The change in color is perfectly normal. Goldfish can be expected to change color over their life time. The fact that he does not receive any natural sunlight is fine. It won't effect his health. Going straight from the 5g to the 100g might scare him a little at first but he will soon become accustomed to it.
As for tank mates, what is already in the 100g tank? If its just sparky then another comet or common will be fine. Goldfish are social creatures so company does them good. For decor you don't want any sharp edges or anything he can get stuck in like caves, skulls, castles, etc. You want to avoid gravel as this can become lodged in his mouth. Large pebbles, sand or bare bottom are the best options.
I just want to say good job researching and planning to provide a proper home for your new pet! (y)

Thank you! That was most helpful. Is there a way I can post pictures of sparky as he grows from my phone?

Oh ya, the tank is empty. It would be just him for now until i get him a friend. I have a few more questions I just thought of.,,
Where would I find accurate information on how to properly prepare sparkys new home? I believe my friend said she has all the equip needed(filters lights etc) but how would I go about making sure the water is sterile and treated properly before his big moving day? Also, how would I change his water in that big of a tank? 25% per clean? Or just fill up the evaporated water?

Lastly, how could I tell if he is a girl or a boy? I'm afraid of them mating and making 100 babies. I'd prefer to get 2 of the same sex.

Jennalynnaustin said:
Thank you! That was most helpful. Is there a way I can post pictures of sparky as he grows from my phone?

Are you on iPhone? There is a little + in the top right hand corner. There is an option under that.

Jennalynnaustin said:
Oh ya, the tank is empty. It would be just him for now until i get him a friend. I have a few more questions I just thought of.,,
Where would I find accurate information on how to properly prepare sparkys new home?
Right here :) We have a few goldfish enthusiasts her at AA. Aquapuppies is a good reference also.
I believe my friend said she has all the equip needed(filters lights etc) but how would I go about making sure the water is sterile and treated properly before his big moving day?
The article I linked in my previous post explains the cycling process, the equipment and chemicals needed. The tank will need to be cycled either fish in or fishless (see article). Ideally goldfish tanks have 10x an hour filtration. This is because they are high waste producers. Eg: 100g tank will need a 1000 gallon turnover of the tank water an hour.
Also, how would I change his water in that big of a tank? 25% per clean? Or just fill up the evaporated water?
I do 50% weekly on my goldfish tank no matter what. What you'll need to change will depend on the water conditions. Ideally you want 0 ammonia and nitrite and less than 40ppm nitrates.

Lastly, how could I tell if he is a girl or a boy? I'm afraid of them mating and making 100 babies. I'd prefer to get 2 of the same sex.
Sexing is next to impossible with younger fish. Once maturity is reached male fish will show breeding tubercles. These are white bumps on the gill plates and pectoral fins. Females, when viewed from above, can appear to be lop sided around the belly.

Last edited:
image-3668196412.jpg

My four month old Robbie loves watching Sparky! Thanks again for the help. I've gotta find the article your talking about now.

Back
Top Bottom