Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone. My name is Lucas. I'm 25, and from Illinois.

I have had an aquarium before, when i was a young teenager. I kept the basic tetra and plecostimus crowd with loaches etc. going for several years. Then I turned 17 and as they started to die off I stopped replacing them because I was always out partying. I still did the maintenace all the way to the point where all i had left was two loaches, and i donated them to a friends tank. At the zenith of my delinquancy i had gotten out of the hobby entirely.

Anyway. Now all I have is a three gallon tank with two female Bettas in it. They don't fight. I have a column on one side of the tank, and a ruined castle looking thing on the opposite corner with a plant seperatnig the two. They seem to have picked territories out, and leave each other alone.

Recently, a friend bought a new 35 gallon tank, that he moved his brackish community into. I helped him move it (He is a little guy) and he offered me a deal on his 14 gallon aquarium. I've got the space for it, and i've always wanted to try a marine set up, so i've decided that's what i am going to do.

The last week i've been doing a lot of research on how to get started, and have not been able to find much DETAILED beginner information on the internet save for a book i ordered that will arrive on my doorstep sometime next week.

I pick up my 14 gallon tank on Saturday, the 13th, and i'd like to get started immediatley. The PM i got when i registered said for me to post one of these and to include what i hope to learn by becoming a member here...So pretty much i'd like to get some tips and success stories, maybe some equipment advice. I'll start another thread in the appropriate forum.

Thanks for any help you give me!

Welcome to AA. Good job on the research. I hope you learned about fishless cycling in doing so lol. Congrats on the tank, can't wait to see how it turns out.

From what i understand, Fishless cycling would be giving your water conditions time to stabilize, and making sure that they are in fact stable before you add fish?

and you have to add an ammonia source to cycle. Many use ammonia, but I like to use fish food. Just put a little bit each day and don't forget to get a liquid test kit, and keep adding food each day until ammonia and nitrite become 0. Then do a 50% pwc. Don't forget other supplies like a heater, filters, substrate, etc. and Good luck ;)

Is the shrimp method good? I have raw shrimp in my freezer

Oh, and the tank i am getting will come with the filter, but it was used for brackish water. If cleaned, will it be acceptable for my system?

yes... my 150 was a saltwater tank and one of the canisters i have was used for sw as well. vinegar and lots of rinsing and you'll be fine

Ok, so once i have everything up and running, Salt water in the tank, and a stable temperature...

Do i start the cycle with Live sand in the tank? That is what i plan to use for the substrate, and when the time is right i want to have coral and all that jazz. Also what do you guys mean by PWC?

Aragonite is better than Live sand since its not really alive by the time you buy it, Pwc= partial water change

So yes, it goes in the tank with the water before you start to cycle?

Back
Top Bottom