Hello.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nmwmab714

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New to the site. Just got fish about 3 or 4 months ago. Right now we have an albino oscar and a regular black oscar. Both a little over 6 inches long. I am having problems with the pH in my tank. The 2 big oscars are fine nothing wrong with them at all, but anytime we get another one or we had 2 green spotted puffer fish they die within like 24 hours. I don't know if it's because there smaller or what. I bought a test kit and Nitrate is good, Chlorine is good. My pH is ranking at 8.4 and my alkalinity is at 300. What is the best thing to get it fixed I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to AA!

GSP's (Green spotted puffers) are brackish fish, needing brackish water (Half Fresh water/ half Saltwater), making it impossible to combine those to species of fish (besides, the puffers would harass or get harassed.)

Enjoy the forum :)

Yep tyspot hit it on the mark...... Oscars prefer freshwater with low Ph 6.0-6.8

Even tho green spotted puffers are born in freshwater they are brackish water fish with Ph about 7.4-8.0 AND YET I'VE heard that they live longer in just saltwater...

we don't have a green spotted puffer anymore, actually the oscars killed one and the other two got ate by my dog...yes my jack russell grabbed him out of my extra tank when I was cleaning there tank. I got some pH tabs that are supposed to level out the pH but I did that yesterday and tested the water it hasn't done anything yet.

is there any other fish that I could put with my oscars? i don't like oscars I think they are ugly and boring. I want bright cool fish that are aggressive and my boyfriend wants his oscars....grrrrr!

Shoot they are my favorite lol.... Green terrors are colorful,jack Dempsey,and other ciclids, but if you keep the oscars I would make sure that what ever fish you put in there is about the same size or bigger.

Back
Top Bottom