Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mshell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I've recently started an aquarium so I am new to this. I am here hoping to find pointers and advice to help me along my way to a happy healthy aquarium that my family and I can enjoy for years to come.

Thanks,
Michelle

:welcome: to AA! (y)

You've come to the right place .... many collective years of aquarium experience here. Before you do anything, I highly recommend you read up on cycling and aquarium. You'll find some in the article section.

Are you starting with a certain tank size or are there specific fish you're looking to add?

I have a 45 gallon tank which has been cycled, but I currently only have one fish, a sunset gourami. I'm having trouble keeping fish alive. I was going to post a detailed description of what I've been doing on one of the other forums to see if I could get advice. My levels are all fine and I do 20% water changes every 2-3 weeks, but I've lost 9 fish so far over the past few months. I've switched where I buy the fish from to see if that was the issue, but it was not. Unfortunately, I think I may know the problem, but not sure how or if there is a fix for it. I had a nitrate/nitrite spike which I believe I caused by overfeeding. Around that same time our well pump broke so I couldn't do an immediate water change. The guy who fixed the well pump put about a 1/4 cup of Dawn dish soap down our well because it kills some kind of bacteria. I wasn't there when it happened to object because I know soap residue is lethal to fish. For several days soapy water came out of our faucets so I waited to do a water change. When I finally felt there was no longer soap coming from the faucet I returned to my normal water change schedule, but I've had trouble keeping fish alive ever since.

dont know how much money you have to kick around but maybey R/O AND R/O RITE as an option? then PWC the heck out of it? Also maybey do a 25% PWC once a week instead of every 2-3 wks. Just a suggestion..

Back
Top Bottom