Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimmypsu93

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Glad to find this forum - you guys all seem great.

Purchased a 20g kit for the kids at petsmart for Xmas (after a week though I quickly realized they could care less about my fish and more about what they can sell me). Found a nice local place though who are very helpful where I will go from now on.

Here's my deal so far.

Got the full kit up and running with gravel bottom, heater and filter, a few fake plants and couple of rocks/castles etc. looks nice and kids love it. Left it running for a few days after adding some 'starter' goop that was supposed to start the bacteria cycle. Gave it another 2 days and went back to petsmart to buy some fish (they originally told me I could add fish after 24 hours!!).

The day I bought the fish (3 neon tetras, one dwarf gourami, red wag platy, silver Molly, black skirt tetra) I came home from a day of shopping with our new fish and the tank was very cloudy out of the blue (I guess a bacterial 'bloom'?)

Well, in about 4 hours the neons died and the black tetra died overnight. Kids crying etc. not a great start. The rest hung on over New Year's Day and I bought the liquid test kit this morning and added an air pump as well. Turns out I have high ph water (about 8.2). So I don't know if the fish died because of the bloom or the high ph (I have read now that the neons prefer a lower ph around 6.5-7).

Tank water cleared up a lot today and hoping I am past the tough start. Couple questions I have are: 1) should I wait to add any more fish at the point or am I clear now that the tank is clear? 2) any suggestions for types of fish to add to my gourami, Molly, and platy knowing that I have a fairly high ph?

Thanks in advance everyone - looking forward to learning a lot.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom