Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siester53

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I've just set up a freshwater tropical tank with a wide range of inhabitants living in it I'm fairly new to this and am looking for some help and advice to keep my new flatmates happy and healthy :)

Welcome! I'm new to tropical tanks(6 months in) but feel free to ask me questions, I've hit a few bumps in the road and recovered with people's help and research. You are in the right place!

I need advice on water changes been advised by my lfs not to do them as my local water is hard and poor quality but I'm using 3 filters have lots of plant life and both fish and water are looking very healthy. Should I ignore lfs or listen to their advice?

I need advice on water changes been advised by my lfs not to do them as my local water is hard and poor quality but I'm using 3 filters have lots of plant life and both fish and water are looking very healthy. Should I ignore lfs or listen to their advice?

Ok, that is odd advice. Lfs employees vary, some will say anything and some love fish and know their stuff-- they can be valuable helpers but are few and far between.

What I would take from the advice you were given is: how can I test my tap water quality and verify how toxic or safe it is? How can I best monitor the daily fluctuations in the water my fish are living in?

In my experience the API freshwater drip testing kit is the very best for testing for :pH, Nitrites, nitrates and especially ammonia.

I also have a test kit by API for GH/KH which I was advised to use because I am on a well system and m water can be affected by the weather locally.

Back
Top Bottom