Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ariel739

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I'm new to the forum and recently discovered I have an interest in aquariums. I am here to learn more about my current tanks/fish and the possibility of eventually getting some saltwater fish and reefs.

If I did make the commitment and go saltwater, how much harder would it be? I think I have been doing well with the freshwater and I am now starting to debate going full marine... I really like my options of fish for this, however how much more time will I have to invest in care? Tank size I should choose?

Welcome to the forum! As for tank size and extra care you would have to put into a saltwater tank depends on your type of fish you want and the type of corals (if you want them)

:welcome: to the forum! I don't own a saltwater tank, but I have done my research because ive wanted to start one. I was going to do a 20 gallon tank, I already had the tank and the filter but besides that if you want to do live rock with corals and everything, start up cost was going to be approximately $650.00 or more. So keep that in mind.

It is a lot cheaper without live rock and corals, but so much more fun im sure with live. Youd have to buy your water, or set up an RO/DI system in your house. With saltwater aquariums, bigger is better. Smaller tanks need a lot more maintenance because bacteria and ammonia, etc. build up faster.

But if you give us more information about what youd like to stock, everyone will be able to help you out more specifically. :)

You've come to the right place!

Don't let the start up cost scare you there is a ton of DIY threads that will help you keep cost down. One of the biggest cost will be lighting if you want to keep a reef tank if you read the best bang for you buck thread it will give you some good lighting options

It's not as much the cost but the options. There are so many different types of species, I'm going to have to do some research and decide what would be best for me. I like some of the coral and live rock I have seen so far. I'm also still debating on what size tank I would want to use for my space. So this tank will be down the road a bit but I'm still brainstorming about it. Lol

If anyone has pictures of their saltwater aquariums they would like to share, I would love to see them to get more ideas. :)

I have a 45 gallon reef not much for corals yet, a fluorescent green mushroom, some misc polyps, a hammer coral, and some small purple mushrooms. For fish I have two Ocellarus Clowns and 3 blue/green Chromis. I also have a 10 gallon dwarf seahorse tank with 8 seahorses.

Attachments

• image-3758526284.jpg
    image-3758526284.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 52
  • image-36605665.jpg
    image-36605665.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 39
  • image-993952974.jpg
    image-993952974.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 47
  • image-230306258.jpg
    image-230306258.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 44
I really like your pictures. I'm also curious to know more about your dwarf seahorses. How difficult are they to care for?

Im am still new to this hobby but in three months my tank looks like this, thanks to all the advice i was given here at this forum. Its a nice chunk of $$$ but well worth it. I took my tv out the room and just watch my tank :)

Attachments

• image-355570275.jpg
    image-355570275.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 51
  • image-96011719.jpg
    image-96011719.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 40
Your tank is beautiful. I've never had a saltwater tank but definitely want to invest in one soon. How many gallons is yours? And do you find it difficult to maintain?

Your tank is beautiful. I've never had a saltwater tank but definitely want to invest in one soon. How many gallons is yours? And do you find it difficult to maintain?

Mine is a 30 gallon. The bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain because all the pollutants are diluted with the more water. I do 10 gallon water change everytwo weeks. And water tests every week. I would invest in a bigger tank as it is more stable. You must be able to commit time and $$$ for a saltwater tank. Dont ever go cheap because you will most likely end up paying for it in the long run. Alot of research and patience goes a long way.

Back
Top Bottom