Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NC_IslandRunner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, My name is Rory, I live in Sanford NC.

Been lurking around a little and thought this forum was one of the better ones I've been looking at, tons of great info.

I have a 5g Betta tank with 2 African dwarf frogs, a 36g with Goldfish, and a 55g with 2 Oscars,1 Jack Dempsey and a Pleco, I know this is too much fish for the 55g but it's all I can afford at the moment, I bought the fish from a woman who had them in a 36g with only a HOB filter! They were is bad conditions when I got them, my tank is still too small but with massive filtration, WC's and close attention/testing I am keeping the water safe for them, until I can get a larger tank.:fish1:

Welcome to AA! I think we might be having the same name there Rory ;), is that your full name?
Glad to hear a newbie that knows about tanks, glad to hear it!
Your tanks sound good, the ADF's need a bit more than 5 gallons but sounds like you know how to care for them
The goldfish tank sounds good also, you can probably add a snails school of WCMM's or a hill stream loach, what type of goldfish is it?
And yes, the 55 gallon is overstocked with an Oscar and the JD, also they might fight, a 125 gallon is good for all those fish
Again welcome! :fish2:

Welcome to AA! I think we might be having the same name there Rory ;), is that your full name?
Glad to hear a newbie that knows about tanks, glad to hear it!
Your tanks sound good, the ADF's need a bit more than 5 gallons but sounds like you know how to care for them
The goldfish tank sounds good also, you can probably add a snails school of WCMM's or a hill stream loach, what type of goldfish is it?
And yes, the 55 gallon is overstocked with an Oscar and the JD, also they might fight, a 125 gallon is good for all those fish
Again welcome! :fish2:

Last name Shook

Goldfish tank is a little over stocked after learning about them more, I've had that tank the longest and was misinformed on fish/water ratio when I set it up. I was told 1inch of fish to every gal of water and leave room for growth, I have 2 Black Moors, 3 Ryukin, a Koi and a Pleco. By the time the Koi gets any size to him I hope to have a pond ready for him. Again extra large filter and 25% water changes at least once a week are keeping the water clean and healthy, it was a bit scary at first trying to get the fluval 405 going, lost one goldfish, but it cleared up and I found a good mix of media for the filter that keeps the water pristine. Oscars hang together at the top of one side of the tank and Jack chills near the bottom on the other, they chase each other from time to time but not too bad, maybe growing up together in a small(36g) tank
helps them get along, no one messes with the Pleco. I have also been looking into trading one or more of the Oscars to a local pet store that has a amazing selection of fish, maybe for store credit just to solve the overstock problem, haven't spoke to them yet but I know they trade fish with customers.

Thanks for the welcome!

Last name Shook

Goldfish tank is a little over stocked after learning about them more, I've had that tank the longest and was misinformed on fish/water ratio when I set it up. I was told 1inch of fish to every gal of water and leave room for growth, I have 2 Black Moors, 3 Ryukin, a Koi and a Pleco. By the time the Koi gets any size to him I hope to have a pond ready for him. Again extra large filter and 25% water changes at least once a week are keeping the water clean and healthy, it was a bit scary at first trying to get the fluval 405 going, lost one goldfish, but it cleared up and I found a good mix of media for the filter that keeps the water pristine. Oscars hang together at the top of one side of the tank and Jack chills near the bottom on the other, they chase each other from time to time but not too bad, maybe growing up together in a small(36g) tank
helps them get along, no one messes with the Pleco. I have also been looking into trading one or more of the Oscars to a local pet store that has a amazing selection of fish, maybe for store credit just to solve the overstock problem, haven't spoke to them yet but I know they trade fish with customers.

Thanks for the welcome!

Wow, that's a super overstocked tank, nice to see a pond coming, an adult koi needs at least 250+ gallons for only one
For the fancy goldfish, a 60 gallon will be enough for them with very good filtration and water changes
I think that that store credit is a good idea

Back
Top Bottom