Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaBud

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm Mike.

I stumbled across this forum when me and my wife were given a 20 gallon starter kit.

It's mid-cycle at the moment and she claims I'm trying to fill it with plants before I place the first fish in it lol.

So for I've got 2 java ferns, 2 anubias nana, java moss, and some anacharis I found at a petsmart today (yay!). I've got hornwort and salvinia minima on the way.

This is a nice place to be. The wealth of information here is almost invaluable.

If I ask a dumb question from time to time please take it easy on me lol.

Welcome! Sounds like your doing well! Would you mind if I learn a little more about your tank filter, lighting, stocking plan, etc? Also I would lve to see some pics! Thx - S.G.

Not at all.

First I used the topfin 20 (I know now) that came with the kit. Not enough. Next my better half decided a 5-15 aqua tech (I really know now) at Walmart would be better. We added it So there's my filters. I've been running seeded media in the tank for almost a week.

I have 2 23 watt clf 6700 spectrum lights about 8 hours a day with a glass hinged top at the moment. I really want a satellite+ and we're working in that.

I really want Cory cats. Maybe a small school of tetras and a platty or two. This is a hobby for me, a new one cause I need something to occupy me on the weekends and she agreed.

Thanks. I didn't know that. Also I'm very interested in a few shrimp. Anything I should take in consideration on those?

Is there any difference in keeping ghost or cherry? My lfs doesn't carry them but I've seen them online.

I think that shrimp are all pretty much scavengers. But you should have spots for them to hide, under rocks etc... Or ground cover type plants.
They pretty much eat the food and stuff that falls to the substrate . They will actually make great little house keepers.

Also snails! Mystery snail or two and I'm looking for a few ramshorn snails as well.

Awesome. So they (shrimp) require any special needs other than the fish? How about a snail or two? Sorry for all the questions as I have a notebook here and I'm writing down almost everything I read.

I don't know if you could keep snails and shrimp. Check out the sight AqAdvisor

Back
Top Bottom