Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobStark

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all, my name is Rob. I've been silently stalking the forums for a few weeks. I just recently got into keeping fish and this forum has been a big help. Within the next week I'm going to be setting up a 29g bow front and transferring my goldfish to it.
I took my girlfriend to the local Carnival and we attempted to win a stuffed animal by throwing pingpong balls into bowls. She sunk 1 and so did I. I told the Carney expecting to pick out a toy, but he reaches under the side of the stand and pulls out 2 little bags with a goldfish in each. We got one orange and one albino Comet. We instantly felt bad for the little guys or girls and wanted to find them a better home.

So I borrowed my brothers minnow bucket w/ bubbler and grabbed some flakes to hold them over until I could get a tank. The next day I went to pet smart but they had closed early because It was Sunday. So we were forced to go to Walmart. Man do I hate going to Walmart!

This whole situation caught me by surprise and I didn't have time to properly research Goldfish and how to care for them. So I made the mistake of buying a 10 gallon kit, some gravel, decorations and treatments.We also picked up a juvenile Calico fantail, because we honestly didn't expect both of our comets to survive.

I set the tank up and put them in. The next day they had some white spots. Then they had alot of white spots. I picked up some Ick Guard and treated the tank for 4 days and It worked perfectly and healed them. (Whew)
I then noticed my water getting cloudy. I had purchased a white rubber anemone that looked awesome in the tank. But it was deteriorating and the fish were eating little pieces that were coming off. I promptly took it out and changed some water. This cleared up the cloudiness. You guys probably already know this but for those who don't. Stear clear of the rubber anemones.

I was doing alot of research and found out I definitely needed a larger tank. Luckily a friend gave me a 29 gallon bow front with a stand. I still need a filter and light for it, but plan on setting it up later this week. I found I really enjoy fish keeping , even with the nightly 20 to 30% water changes the 10 gallon requires to keep the ammonia down. Testing the water, watching the fish, changing the water, researching filters etc. I find it all both relaxing and rewarding. I have the feeling it won't be long before Jon Snow, Egret , and Sam well get an even larger home than the 29 gallon.
Well that's about it for now. I'm off to research filters again, Thanks for having me and reading this long, rambling post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My goldfish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1405386773975.jpg
    1405386773975.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom