Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koskiusko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, koski here, new to forum, and new to the whole fish keeping situation too. Wanted a fish tank for years and now the wifes let me (the child really, as will be good for him to have pets).

So here's my situation, and I know it's a really poor starting situation (ive spent the past week doing almost nothing but reading about keeping fish). We were gifted/donated a small (approx 20litre) tank, with 2 zebra danios (yes I know they like larger schools) by a family member who lives on the other side of the country (live in England).

Unfortunately the other family members who brought them for us kept the 2 fish a tupperware tub for im assuming almost 24 hours, which is going to be incredibly stressful for them, and then my wife dumped them in a tank with just straight untreated tap water whilst I was at work. Unfortunately they only survived a few days. I also think that the filter has also been forced into a mini cycle from what I've been reading. So we bought 2 small oranda goldfish for now, I know they will quickly outsize the current tank.

I am due a bonus from work within the next month, and looking to buy a proper tank to get setup instead of this small one, I was thinking maybe an 80 litre is about the largest that will fit in my available space. So my question would be, does anyone in the north west of England know of anywhere I can get a great deal on a fish tank, even second hand, as I'd like to get as good a bargain as possible (doesn't need filter or accessories, i can get them myself). Also, as i will be moving the 2 oranda to the larger tank, what other fish would go well with them, this would obviously be a cold or temperate tank, so tropical fish and a heater are not on my current agenda. What could I also use the tiny tank for, I was thinking maybe a lone Betta with a couple of shrimp or so, or even just on its own, or would it be a tank better suited to being used for QT or hospital, would people also advocate going for a fish in cycle or fishless cycle, ive come across information promoting either method. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, im also not fussed on whether I use real or fake plants, I currently have 1 real plant and several fake plants in the current tank.

20170506_083544.jpg
Thought I'd attach a picture so everyone could get a little idea of what the current tank looks like, the filter provided also says on it that it's rated up to 350 lph which is overkill in the current tank, but with it being unbranded and information fairly poor on it, i reckon it's not that accurate

20170506_083535.jpg
Here's also a picture of the fish, say hello to goldeen and seaking.

Koskiusko

Hello and welcome!

Research is your friend! There's so much to learn.

Having a quarantine tank is a life saver. And it's one of those things where you don't need it until you need it NOW.

80 liters might be small for two fancy goldfish. They poop a lot. And then they poop more.

Fishless cycle is unspeakably easier than fish in, but if you're moving your current stock to another tank, move your filter with them and you won't have much of a cycle at all.

Your tank looks like a happy little place for your little person. How old? We set up our first tank for our then-five year old.

Yeah I was told they need a lot of space but I literally only really have the 1 space available to put them in, so there's not a lot of choice available for tank size. Money is also a factor.

I was planning on doing a fresh cycle to make sure the new tank was properly setup, no trying to cut corners so originally I wasn't planning to move anything but the plants if anything.

I was also planning on going over the recommended filtration for the tank size to help with the load.

The little man's only just turned 1, so he doesn't really have a clue on what it is yet, besides pointing at the tank/fish because of the colours. I've seen some of your tank setups and they are fantastic.

Thank you!

You wouldn't have to keep your current filter in for long to bring over the beneficial bacteria. Although rereading, you're probably not cycled. Just an issue of time.

I fully support fishless cycles. I've done three fish-in cycles-- the first because I didn't know better, second because I changed the substrate without being careful, and third because of the amount of chloramine in our water. They are so much work and take so long!

We'll be here to help you out and provide moral support.

Thanks very much nirbhao, loving the ponyo inspired tank, looking forward to seeing the tunnel and house when it's done.

I think I'll do a fishless cycle then and maybe just move half the filter media over to help speed it up, but I do think there's a good chance it's been forced into a mini cycle, the fish seem to be thriving at the moment though, generally happy, eating well, swimming around and I even got a nibble on the finger by one this morning. Probably thought I was food as it's a greedy little fish.

Do you know what type of fish play well with orandas?

20170509_103854.jpg
Here's the greedy little thing showing off its moustache

Does anyone know what other fish work well with orandas, I fancy something else colourful but due to original fish choice im limiting myself to species that do well without a heater, my living room where it's located is usually a good temperature due to the sun hitting the back window during the morning, and then the front window during the afternoon

Back
Top Bottom