Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RNbowmom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello aquariums enthusiasts. My name is Danyelle, I'm not entirely new to aquariums but wouldn't call myself an expert. Im currently in a bit of a crisis. I've never had to deal with crisis before I had a better in a cycled tank in lived a good long life. I have a baby ruby shark in a starter tank by himself. It appeared to be cycled but I began to be suspicious after adding him and seeing no change in readings. I went out and got a master test kit and found the readings to be inaccurate on my strips. Nevertheless no ammonia nitrites all is well. Parameters where they needed to be until suddenly my filter cutoff. Idk what caused it but now I have an ammonia spike. Of course it could be it took a while after having him for a spike to occur idk. I have done a 50% water change for a .25 reading and used stress coat. I am also trying to get ahold of some quickstart to maybe help boost the bacteria back up again. With covid ill have to wait until the morning to get some. Stock is low. My rainbow also isn't eating wanted to rescue him but I'm afraid he will die. After speaking with the store staff I regret getting even a baby fish housed alone from there ��. I feel the ammonia spike may have stressed him but he is also always looking for food. The staff told me ruby's are not bottom feeders. They have been feeding them flakes and his tank had a good bit of algea. Not a bad amount but mine does not. He will not eat anything I feed him except algea wafers but also takes forever to become interested in it. Which has me fishing it out before it breaks down too much and causes ammonia issues. He hasnt eaten in a couple days. Im trying so hard not to stress but the filter dying on me really excarbated the issue. Will never buy aquatech again. It is rated for twice the size I really need bc right now I have a small tank set up but bought appliances for when I size up plus I know they like a good current. I could use some advice.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the community.

If your media is still wet it might still have BB. You can rinse it in some dechlorinated water and just set in the tank near a airstone/ bubbler.

Prime water conditioner is really helpful in getting through a fish in cycle as it will neutralize / bind, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. Not long ago heard good things about Stability for helping with establishing BB in the filter media.

Back
Top Bottom