Hello All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alanc1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

My name is Alan and am new to this community, although not new to the hobby.

My 180 gal reef tank (up and running for 8 yrs) suffered a catastrophy when I was on vacation back in May. Breakers tripped for the lights and pumps. I lst everything, except for a green mushroom cluster and 3 snails.

so, I decided to revamp my system and get a somewhat clean start.

First, repace the lighting system. I had 3 400w MH and 2 60" T-12 140w Actintic. Replaced the MH with Power Compacts 4 36" 96 Actintis and 4 36" 96w 10K. Big reason for this was my electric bill. Those MH's caused my chiller to run constantly and heated up the house causing the A/C to run harder.

Second, replace the aragonite substrate with live sand.

Third, re-cure the live rock to get rid of the algea and clear all the decaying worms, etc.

forth, replace my Read Sea Berlin skimmer with a new Euro-reef RSA 250.2 skimmer.

So, I have everything back in the tank (excpet for the new skimmer, still waiting for that to be delivered. Tanks seems to have cycled (fast, I guess because the live rock was still very active when I recured it.

Lights up and running. got one of those R2 Moonlight Controllers. We'll see how long that last. And replace my Wave Maker with a Reef Master.

Let the fun begin. Looking forward to restocking and recreating it all.

Hi Neilan

Hi Neilan,

Grew up in No. VA. Still have family there, Be exact, that's where I was when my tank tanked. Visiting my daughter / grandson's in Centreville, then my folks in Deltaville.

Thanks for the welcome.
Alan

img_996166_0_ad4b36ece063f6065f0432ebe283a9b4.gif

and Welcome to AA.

Back
Top Bottom