Hello all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PerfectlyPeachy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I blame my husband for my new fish obsession. He always talked about this awesome tank he used to have so he got one for his birthday this year. Though, once I learned how to change the water, how often to change it, how much to feed them, how to check the water, etc...I sort of took over :angel: They're pretty much my babies now. And whether or not they'll happen, I have our next three tanks already planned out :D

Our oldest tank is Barbageddon. 55 gallons of nothing but barbs, tiger barbs, albino tiger barbs, green barbs, black ruby barbs and a couple of bristle-nosed plecos.

It was quite the ordeal setting up. It took about 6 weeks to cycle and when everything was stable we got fish. Over the next couple of weeks, all but the two plecos, two green barbs and an albino died.

We were stressed because we knew our poor barbs were stressed but we were also trying to figure out what killed our fish. The nest day we lost one of our green barbs and we had to get more or risk of stressing the ones we had to death :(

We went to a different pet shop and got enough tigers and albinos to make a nice school. And... they survived! They survived 2 weeks, 3 weeks... 6 weeks... so we got more... when they survived week after week we slowly stocked it up until we got all the ones we planned on.

They have been absolutely awesome to watch and care for. They're like babies. A few are even named - our albino bristle nose is Squishy-George and our regular bristle nose is Cthulu.

I'm rambling, I know.

We got a 20 gallon and planned and planned on what we were going to do with it as it cycled. We at first wanted to go with a Betta and perhaps some shrimp but we ended up gravitating toward a Betta sorority. After a week of stability, yesterday we got the first 3. A beautiful red/dark blue one named Scarlett, a lovely peach one named Witchka and a shy blue one named Melanie.

I think we're planning on adding 2 more eventually. The calculator said we could add 2-3 more so I think we'll go with 2 since we like odd numbers :D

We have our outdoor pond almost ready to go for some gold fish when it gets warmer in the spring. And I'm doing research on clams for outside as well. Might not go clams because I don't think they'd over-winter well in the pond (it isn't very big). But, I'm going to do some more reading and see what I can find out.

Once I get some decent pictures of the tanks, I'll post them!

Back
Top Bottom