Hello All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

65cichlids

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello my name is Rodney. I am new here and new to the hobby. I recently got a 55gal Tank, Cascade 1000 canister filter, Elite 200w heater. I bought 45-60 baby African Cichlids. I bought some used Decor and I'm waiting on that to be shipped. I also got some rocks from Lake Erie. What should I do to this decor and rocks before I put them into my tank. Any advice is well welcomed so bring it on. Here are a few pics of what I have...... Thanks.... Rodney

There are baby Cichlids in there they are hiding

Attachments

• Aquarium 1.jpg
    Aquarium 1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Aquarium Decor.jpg
    Aquarium Decor.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Rock 3.jpg
    Rock 3.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Aquarium Decor 2.jpg
    Aquarium Decor 2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 127
Welcome to AA!!

You can just scrub those rocks real real good. And soak them in a bucket of hot water. Use a dish washing brush (works well) get the tough kind.

I've done it plenty of time. Using the brush and to get into the little crevices I used a tooth brush.

Again welcome to the forum :)

Thank you very much for the quick reply, Will do. What about the used decor?

65cichlids said:
Thank you very much for the quick reply, Will do. What about the used decor?

Used decor you can just give a quick rinse. It's dried already so any BB on it has died off. When I was setting up my first tank my buddy has given some of his media and decor to help seed my tank but it literally a 5 minutes transfer and we kept everything wet in bags of his tank water.

But a rinse will do just fine.

45-60 cichlids is too many for that tank I'd only keep 10 or 15.

Welcome!

emerald76 said:

Welcome!

Wow!! Agreed ^^^^^

I missed that one. Way too many!! I'm over stocked in my 75 gallon with African cichlids and don't have 60!

looks as if the lfs has given the advice once again of keeping 1 inch of fish pr gallon. I was told the same thing when I first bought my tank but thanks to you guys I learned that's not good advice before I bought my fish. I have been getting advice from this forum for about 2 months before I joined it. Seems that just about every question I googled I ended up here. Thanks to all of you who help I have a great set up and happy fish

Welcome!
Yeah the person I got them from wanted to sell them all at once. They are all babies now. I will somehow get some out once they grow a little.

65cichlids said:
Yeah the person I got them from wanted to sell them all at once. They are all babies now. I will somehow get some out once they grow a little.

You'll have to remove 45 or so

Put some black vinyl contact paper on the back. I think it looks a lot better.

ForumRunner_20120616_170007.jpg

Nice job it does look very nice.
If you can get some pics of the babies some of us might be able to help identify them, you can also go look on line at some of the places that sell on line look thru their pics and might be able to figure them out on your own

Here's a couple pics of the fish. I hope you can see them. What kind are they?

ForumRunner_20120617_104608.jpg

ForumRunner_20120617_104624.jpg

I tried to add another pic to my last post and the whole thing is gone

Back
Top Bottom