hello all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish momma

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I am new to this site and almost new to the whole fish world lol. I am here hoping to learn all I can about my fish and my aquarium. Things I need to do in order to expand my tank. I been having lots of trouble with my tank for the past several months. Started with a goldfish my daughter won at a fair and its been crazy from there. Not having luck with my fish at all. I had a 75 gallon tank 10 years ago and never had a prob with it. I cant figure out where I'm going wrong. I keep telling my daughter this is the last time I will try but I cant cause I love the tank and watching the fish. Hope I can find help here. Thanks!

Welcome to AA :) do you know about the cycling process to form an establish beneficial bacteria colony? Do you have an API liquid test kit? If you have recent test results we could further help you. Also what is your current stock list (what fish)?

I did cycle the tank but I havent gotten another test kit yet. My first one got messed up. I only have 2 glo fish in my tank right now. I added them today

How did you cycle the tank and did you have a test kit to monitor the levels to know its cycled?

I Ran the aquarium at a high temperature, up in the low to mid 80's. I Kept the tank only about 50-65% full. Kept the aquarium light on 24 hours per day during cycling. I ran air pump and the filter the whole time

Did you add an ammonia source to begin the cycle? To cycle a tank you must establish stages of bacteria first converting waste/fishpoo into ammonia as a biproduct. Then a different bacteria colony will form that eats ammonia and creates nitrites. Then another which eats nitrites and produces nitrates which is the least damaging to fish which you will have to remove through water changes keeping it 20ppm or lower.

There are some articles on here about cycling a FW tank which I reccomend you read and it'll explain the nitrogen cycle and why its important to keeping a healthy tank.

No wasn't sure I HAD to do that. I never did that in the past. What would you suggest now that I have already added fish

Now you do a fish in cycle or return them and cycle with pure ammonia which I would advise the pure ammonia after returning since its just two glow fish. You can really speed up a cycle by getting an filter cartridge out if an established tank.. enough and you can almost instantly cycle a tank.

Yes more then likely because ammonia is very damaging on their gills. Did they seek to be gasping for air?

Back
Top Bottom