Hello All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Abubias, Java Fern, wisteria, hornwort, Java moss, Amazon swords,crypts, all good easy plants.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426027562.860773.jpg

This is my 75g planted. It has a majority of the plants I recommended. And a few others like Rotala, bacopa, and dwarf water lettuce.

OHH water sprite I've heard is really easy and one of those "indestructible plants". I got some on the way.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Hi Finn!
For your stock list, just some comments:
I thought white clouds liked cooler temps, may want to check on the compatability
Since you have the space, I would do at least six of the cory cats. They love hanging in big groups :)
For the rainbows I would also bump the number up if you plan to keep them, I believe 5 is the minimum recommendation. Some species are super active and can get a little bossy with each other, it's easier to spread out chasing with bigger numbers.
Good luck!

Some rainbows are also very voracious eaters. You may need to feed extra so the other fish get some.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have checked out everything on aqadvice.com and I saw that about the rainbows I really would love a large nice center piece fish I thought about discus but i know they require a lot more care. Any suggestions?

Also I do know about the cooler water and I have the heater on the far side so one side is cooler. And do you know where I can find those plants?

I am breaking down the saltwater slowly and I need around $120 (I only have $16) to get the substrate so take your time. ;)

Let me just say welcome to the forum The Idea is to help new fish people, make them feel welcome and not scare them off the forum. We all had to learn and somethings we learn by trial and error. Also there is no one perfect way. What works well for one fishkeeper may not work for another. There are too many variables, and they are all living creatures, not robots. I say keep studying the way you are and you will be an expert in no time, and meanwhile I think your doing well. I have kept fish on and off for 60 plus years and am still learning. Alison.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've sold my acei and replaced them with a syno cat and another cichlid. And I've started to take down my reef tank.

With cichlids always know what you have before you bring it home. Even if the LFS suggests it will work and they are in the same tank always do you research before you bring it home. I'm speaking from experience here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With cichlids always know what you have before you bring it home. Even if the LFS suggests it will work and they are in the same tank always do you research before you bring it home. I'm speaking from experience here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1000000 to this. Research. Research. Research.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ok I will I assumed it would be fine because the guy who I bought them from has a tank in the store dedicated to peacock cichlids and fish that get along with peacocks and that tank is where the five barred cichlid came from. He is doing great despite the fact that he is less than half of the size of the fish in the tank he is only about 1" at most.

Rule #1. Don't trust the LFS employees. Do your own research THEN see what they have to say.

Rule #2. Just because they have it in a tank together doesn't mean they will work on the long run. LFS stock the tanks for TEMPORARY housing. Example: my big box lfs stocks like 7 rainbow sharks in the same tank. In the home aquaria that would eventually end in a bloodbath.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Rule #1. Don't trust the LFS employees. Do your own research THEN see what they have to say.

Rule #2. Just because they have it in a tank together doesn't mean they will work on the long run. LFS stock the tanks for TEMPORARY housing. Example: my big box lfs stocks like 7 rainbow sharks in the same tank. In the home aquaria that would eventually end in a bloodbath.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Uggg I hate that store. I trust the employee because he is very knowledgeable on the subject of fish and he is working toward being a ichthyologist.

Uggg I hate that store. I trust the employee because he is very knowledgeable on the subject of fish and he is working toward being a ichthyologist.

Some advice might be spot on then outta the blue they'll come up with something else. "Trust" means double verify. Last fall I wanted a very beautiful trio of fish traded in from a breeder. Owner and lfs owner for maybe 30 years said they will be fine with my other fish. After deciding to find out myself, couldn't get a correct ID from the "name" they had, found they were very aggressive (with a breeding situation/trio) and would have likely killed the others in my tank, though 1 fish in the tank would have been ok, no breeding territory protection issue.

In one circumstance no problem but otherwise death would have been the out come. It is frustrating - SW tanks for me have been especially that way in shopping lately, since I am a noob there, 50/50 info from experienced lfs persons.

There is a vast number of niche fish and invert keepers with so many variables monster tanks to nano and pico. As for the degree in ichthyology, I am guessing ocean and lake fish focus and older info not focused on current hobby fish. In the end the job rests on your and my shoulders. Good to ask for more info and personal experiences. (y) Frustrating none the less!

Back
Top Bottom