Hello All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevquatic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm in research mode as I am moving from a 10 gallon tank to a 75 gallon tank. So, I will be reading as much as possible on this site for awhile, until I can halfway catch up with the experts. Anyway, I am attempting a somewhat controversial set up with a male betta, corys, and a group of platy. I'm thinking in a 75 gl tank with enough plants, they should be cool with each other. I already have the male betta and 4 cory in the 10 gl, but I have to change the water every other day.

Just keep the betta in the 10g. 75g has so much potential to be spoiled by a mean betta.

Caleb

I agree 10g is a beautiful home for a betta.

Can I ask why platties?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Read somewhere that platties could be compatible with bettas. But, like you have said it depends on the disposition of the betta. He has not bothered the corys at all.

Read somewhere that platties could be compatible with bettas. But, like you have said it depends on the disposition of the betta. He has not bothered the corys at all.

My suggestion was why base a whopping 75 gallons around a betta? Just stick him in the 10g with some Pygmy cories. That's plenty of space for him and opens up a world of options to that 75g... Planted, cichlids, community, exotics, species only, or even salty.

Caleb

I've had a bad experience with a betta and pygmy cories in a 10g.
I wouldn't do it. Pygmies are more middle dwelling than other cories.
They also are too active for a 10g, ime.

Scratch my plans, back to the drawing board. I said I was in research mode. I am now getting a 50 gal, not 75. I have 2 possible plans I am now thinking about.

1. Put the cories and the betta in the 50 and add a bunch of neon tetras. I know those are are all compatible.

2. Keep the betta in the 10 gal, move the cories to the 50 and add 4 discus. I know they are not "beginner" fish, but I have learned a lot over the last year. I spend a lot of time researching the best care methods and I am big time checking water conditions and changing the water. What exactly does it take to not be a beginner?

3. I am open to suggestions. Any ideas?:)

2 or 3.

If you think you are up for the challenge you do discus. They really are not that hard if you think about it. Just do proper:

1.Acclimation- dripping for an extended period of time with lights off to reduce stress.
2. Quarantine- 3-4 weeks for any sign of illness and medicate if needed.
3. Water changes- depending on bioload, people do water changes for them 50% 2 times a week or more.

Caleb

I would say to look into something other than discus. They are ALOT of work imo. Start out with something that is nice and flashy, but isn't going to break the bank, like angelfish, or rainbow fish. They are pretty and have lots of personality

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Agree, keep the betta out of the 50 and don't do discus. You're talking 50% water changes (25 gallons!) Every other day.

How about cichlids? If the stocking is right Africans are pretty easy. Some Bolivian rams in a community with some tetras would be nice. Actually that's my vote, a pair of Rams (preferably Bolivian) 15 neons or cardinals, and maybe another school of tetras.

Bettas and neons aren't compatible. I've seen many horror stories of that particular combo being a bad idea.

Why do you say that? It all depends on the betta. I've had very good luck with my bettas and neons in the past. I suppose they could stress him out, but my neons were pretty boring. They just hung out and drifted slowly around the tank unless it was feeding time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

IMO the only thing that is an absolute no-go with bettas is male fancy guppies with male bettas. The guppy looks too much like a smaller betta. However that said I encourage everyone not to keep a betta with any fish. They are a floater, theyre pretty laid back and like solitude just fine. Most other fish tend to stress them.

I've seen females more successfully paired with other fish than males.

Why do you say that? It all depends on the betta. I've had very good luck with my bettas and neons in the past. I suppose they could stress him out, but my neons were pretty boring. They just hung out and drifted slowly around the tank unless it was feeding time.

Neons are brightly colored, have been an active fish for me, and are fin nippers when not in a proper school.

I agree TMCR Exotics, bettas ought to be kept alone imo.

Also, yes it does depend on the fish's temperament. But you can't know the particular fish you are getting's temperament before you get it, can you?
You could also keep a mbuna in a community depending on the temperament. Do you think that's a good idea?

Back
Top Bottom