Hello All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vendetta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to forum and many years out of this hobby. Just set up a 55 gallon with aquaclear 110. I have a couple small angle fish and a few neon tetras. Also 3 peppered Cory's. Did not cycle. I know please don't hate me. Had to have fish right away to talk my girl into it.

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA. :welcome:

Nobody hates you but you will probably have fatalities when the cycle does take over. Then you might hate yourself. Good luck with the tank anyway.

Why would I have fatalities? Good water changes watch ammonia levels. Good size tank for just a few fish. Am I missing something once the cycle takes effect?

Also I almost forgot to add I'm using a finnex planted plus light and this is my first ever go with live plants.

Just monitor the tank and dose prime daily. Change water. Can you get any seeded media from your fish store or craigslist

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I could definitely get some seeding. I will work on that.

Should I trim dead parts off my plants?

Also I got my fish from a local place and everyone had good things to say but by the time I got home about half had already died in the bag. It is exactly a 45 minute drive for me. Is that normal?

New to forum and many years out of this hobby. Just set up a 55 gallon with aquaclear 110. I have a couple small angle fish and a few neon tetras. Also 3 peppered Cory's. Did not cycle. I know please don't hate me. Had to have fish right away to talk my girl into it.
Haha same happened to me lol I hope you at least treated the water haha

Also I got my fish from a local place and everyone had good things to say but by the time I got home about half had already died in the bag. It is exactly a 45 minute drive for me. Is that normal?

Nope, that's not at all, temp vahnhe drastically, they should be able to spend 2 days in a bag really. How they get to the store..

I could definitely get some seeding. I will work on that.

Should I trim dead parts off my plants?

Yah, def get on it ASAP. Yes if you didn't have fish I'd say let it rot but keep that tank as clean as possible. Cutting dying growth will benefit the plant as a whole, struggling growth robs more energy from the healthier portions in order to repair itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its not normal definitely. I had fish once for like two hours in the bag and they stayed fine. Probably too many fish u have in small bag. And I did the mistake of not cycling the tank and my fish died. I was new to hobby that time.

Sent from my E6833 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the tips. Everything has been doing good so far. My girlfriend brought in a couple baloon mollies right after my last post. I'm pretty sure they are breeding. No deaths of any fish. I did have (from my Google research) a diatom of brown algea. But with some scrubbing and water changes etc that seems to be better. My plants are not doing so well. My grasses seem to be good but my ferns are getting brown. However the roots have grown like crazy. I think I need to do some more research. The guy at the store said just to tie the everything off to the driftwood and it would anchor itself and spread but it sure looks to me like the growth is just floating around.

Back
Top Bottom