Hello and HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newtofish2018

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New here...have a 10 gal. Tank we bought 3 weeks ago. We added the bacteria starter the petsmart people told us to get, then the bacteria supplement (top fin brand). Water tested perfect 2 days later, we added 2 guppies. Faithfully doing our water changes every week and adding bacteria and water conditioner. Day later, one guppy dead,
Water still great, so added another guppy and dwarf gourami. Several days later still great, added a snail. Now, here is where our issue started. Gourami pigged on snail tablet, got bloat and died several days later. Blah. When we went in at the 2 week mark from adding fish to tank, tested water and high ammonia and nitrates. Ok, wait to add fish. Tried adding bacteria and dconditioner with 50 percent water change, no help.
Finally a fellow told us we must have 2 bacteria fighting since the starter stuff not top Finn. 100 percent water change, use API bacteria and stress coat. We followed advice. Now, less than week later, water still ammonia and nitrate high. One guppy is moping.
Now they tell me forget the bacteria stuff, just water changeby 25 percent adding conditioner every 2 days for 10 days and pray my fish don't die.
Who is right? What am I doing wrong? It was so good for 2 weeks! HELP!

Last edited:
Clean out your filter pad with the tank water (in a bowl) the filter is not breathing right after adding all the bacteria and fish. Then vacuum the bottom (gravel?) And then do a 50% water change. And test. If your readings are still high. Do another 50% water change with conditioner. Be careful to not over feed.

Thank you! So I scrub the filter in some water outside of the tank and put the filter back in? Should I just replace filter, or will I get rid of my good bacteria? I vacuumed the gravel today along with a25 percent change of water. I should change it more, then. Ok. Now how much should i feed 2 guppies? They say what they can eat in 3 minutes, we always feed them that or a bit less twice a day. Should it be less yet and that's what is killing us here? Is usually just a small pinch of flakes....

Last edited:
Don't scrub the filter. Just squeeze the filter pad until it looks cleaner. If it's really bad then just replace the pad. Don't scrub the filter system. You can swish tank water around in it to get the loose stuff out of it. But, don't scrub it. As far as 2 guppies. Just watch and see if alot falls to the bottom then it's probably too much. Sounds like your ok on the feeding. But if you find yourself cleaning the tank alot (vacuuming the bottom mostly) than its probably a good idea to lighten up on the feeding. I do 1 time a day most the time. Less cleaning. 50% water changes, until you get it under control. Then you can get back to 25-30% just think of the filter being the heart of the tank. Always keep it clean, with good bacteria. ?

Ok I'll do that! Thank you so much! My girls got this for a Christmas present and they have been so bummed to already lose 2 fish and then us not be able to pick out a replacement gourami. ...filter cleaning and water changes here we come!

Well, alot of hings happen in this hobby. Just reassure them that there's plenty more fish to save. And not all of them will live. Getting a tank perfect for the fish are always lessons learned as you start up. But once you get to know it. It's so rewarding. Keep heads up. You'll get it. The most biggest advice I can give you is to watch your fish for anything different about them and think about what could've happened. And always keep a first aid kit on hand. Special when adding new fish. I stock up on aquarium salt. Lots of stores have "ich" (little white spots on their fish) it's nasty, and the whole tank will get infested. Watch for that too. Even if it's in a different tank your buying out of. Still might get it. Best wishes to y'all!

Thank u so much! Yes, I've been trying to tell them that as much as we like them, they are animals, and animals die a lot. They are getting it. They are really looking forward to getting a replacement for Sir Archibald I. We called him Archie. Poor little guy. He was really our favorite. I didn't think I would get emotionally attached to a fish, LOL!
I did a50 percent water change, rinsed filter well. It cleaned up real easy just swishing it in some water. Put in more stress coat. Let it cycle around a while, then took a sample in to petsmart since I was out and about anyways. ....the same guy who had given me advice before helped with the test and was shocked at how much my water quality had changed! Ammonia went from between 3 and 6 to safe zone, nitrates where safe, nitrites went from danger zone to caution on their scale. I couldn't have been happier. My water was super hard. He said that's fine, that all water in MI (muskegon) is super hard and the fish will be fine that way. Since I see you are from Hart, figure you would know if he's right?
Also, what would you think of eventually and slowly adding a dwarf gourami and a molly to the 2 guppies and mystery snail? Would that overpopulate? I'd like to add a second mystery snail or ghost shrimp too but didn't know if they applied to the inch per gallon rule. ..seems like it might get a little crowded if I do. Then again if I am up on water changes maybe ok?

Last edited:
Oh, and BTW I saw a pic of your new black angel fish on another thread. .. wow is she a beauty! Very nice fish.

Back
Top Bottom