Hello everybody. :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nelladeymx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I already posted a article in "Getting Started"
But I figured I should post here to shake some hands and start learning even more.

I'm a very new hobbyist to the fish scene.

Granted, when I was about 8, one of my Christmas presents was a aquarium with a movable viewing glass. And about, 20 guppies and three goldfish.
However, my family quickly had to teach me not only the meaning of death, but the reason some animals eat other animals. As within a week, the guppies had vanished. (Until half of one was floating and I saw it)

After that, I had a 10g tank. Nothing amazing in there, some ornaments, and a small collection of Walmart fish. Eventually I acquired a second smaller tank. This one had Tetra's and a rather large Placy.
The only reason I never kept the tank going was the Walmart in my local town had a terrible fish dept. and most fish were already almost dead before they'd been purchased. so the dept closed down. However with the arrival of a new pet store, Im excited to begin again. and this time Pursue a active. healthy tank.

I intend to build a new 220 Gallon tank sometime in the next 6 months. And Im very eager to learn about the hobby. I've always enjoyed fish. :)

Welcome!! Can't wait to see what all you are going to do!

For my first tank, (Ten Gallons My old tank that Im cleaning out and getting ready again) Im just going to do some Tetra's and Gourami's I think. Just something little for it.

After that, I intend to build a large tank. 5 Feet long, four feet high, and two feet depth. With the water going to a little over 3 feet. The tank would be a freshwater tropic, with some angels, Larger tetra's, (Going to Try) Clown loach and hope they can get along, Some Platies hopefully, If you guys have any suggestions (I really like colorful fish) Let me know! :)

I'm really hoping to get a Box Turtle, or a painted turtle, as they are apparently almost completely vegetarian right from the start, preferring Bugs if they are going to eat any thing other then Vegetation. I have been researching how to build a 3D background, and intend to build one that can also serve as a land base for the turtle. With a Lamp over it.

Im thinking with the turtle, I may have to go three feet depth though. to ensure he has enough space to move around up there...

I also intend to run two filters, a wet dry, and a Canister, (Both with UV's) To try and cut down the bioload, and keep him clean, (And my water/fish)

The Clown's apparently need a larger tank eventually, so when I do have to, (Hopefully thats a looong ways down the road) I will build a larger tank for them all, and get some Bala Sharks. :)

And then turn this tank into a a Salt water. :smitten:

Seems like you have already done quite a bit of research already which is good. I don't know too much about turtles and their specific needs. It sounds like you'll have an awesome tank on your hands though!

Seems like you have already done quite a bit of research already which is good. I don't know too much about turtles and their specific needs. It sounds like you'll have an awesome tank on your hands though!

Yeah, Im hoping so.:D I heard someone say while I was researching though, that a DIY foam background will fall apart after a few months, but I've also found a ton of people saying they still have theirs working perfectly years later.. :/

So, Not totally sure what to expect the end result to be on it.. :/

Back
Top Bottom