Hello Everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nkn1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm a newbie here and am really excited to belong to such a wonderful fish community!

I need help with a silver dollar I've had for over 3 years who now just developed a lump on his side. He seems fine-he swims with the other fish at times in the tank, seems to have an appetite, and doesn't show any abnormal signs. The lump is only on one side & looks like it has a slight bubble in top of it. Help!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bloated?? Not ane xpert in this topic but sound alike it's around the bladder, could be constipation or being bloated, I don't really know.

Nils

Thanks Nils! I found a week ago, I was feeding my six silver dollars in my 54 gal. Tank (where this one lives) way too much spiraling wafers. I cut back & discovered this bloated fish. The lump has like a tiny bubble on it too. It's only on one side. He doesn't seem sick. My Ph is 7, my water temp is 82 & I turn the light off a few times thru the day for very short periods of time.

I added three new silver dollars over 3 weeks ago. I had to treat the tank with Erythrimycin because one of the fish had a slight mouth injury & had a speck of fungus. I did the necessary treatments & all fish look great. It's just this one silver with the lump. I saw him swimming today next to another silver who was shimmying next to him. Spawning??!! Help!

try a salt dip/bath. i think it's 5 minutes in 1/2 cup aquarium salt per 1 gallon. also add air stone to help oxygenation. the fish will float on it's side and look like it's dying. remove immediately if it stops moving altogether (you may have to poke it to make sure it still moves). i've used this a couple of times for unidentified external lesions with better luck than meds.

Thank you surfnturf! Just got your post this morning. Will try today. What puzzles me is this tiny transparent bubble on top of the lump. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

try a salt dip/bath. i think it's 5 minutes in 1/2 cup aquarium salt per 1 gallon. also add air stone to help oxygenation. the fish will float on it's side and look like it's dying. remove immediately if it stops moving altogether (you may have to poke it to make sure it still moves). i've used this a couple of times for unidentified external lesions with better luck than meds.

Surfnturf- thank you so much for advice about the salt dip for my sver dollar fish! I did two dips-one yesterday & one today. The lump is gone and where the bubble was, the skin split and is hanging off the fish. Do you know what that could be from? Do you think it was an internal parasite? Or do you think it was just constipation?

Back
Top Bottom