Hello fellow fish parents!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoxofKittens

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started my aquariums, I believe in March, of this year. I was pregnant myself at the time and needed something to take care of or I was going to lose my pregnant mind. I couldn't bring myself to stay awake long enough to sift through my paranormal investigation footage.

We started out with two tanks, one 1 gallon tank and one 1.5 gallon tank for a male betta and a female betta. Then we got a black molly and sunset platy. The black molly decided to spit out about 8 babies. Then we got an albino pleco and shortly after that, a ten gallon aquarium. Then the molly died before the 10 gallon aquarium was ready for them as well as all of her babies. After the rest got switched to the ten gallon the pleco decided to leave us. Everything seemed great and everyone was healthy, so we got another couple of platy.
Recently my adult platy, which is female, decided to spit out about 20 or 30 fry on me and I was not anticipating any babies after the molly and pleco passed. I've got the 1 gallon and 1.5 gallon set up again to switch over some of the bigger fish.

This fry part is extremely new to me and I'm trying to find bigger tanks to spread them all out among. None of them are fighting, but my male betta seems extremely protective of the platy fry. I've also got a make shift breeder box and fry trap that has about one or two fry in it so far. It's been about three days and my platy still looks extremely pregnant.

Can fish just be fat?

That's where I am with aquariums and I hope to get to talk to some of you soon.

Are your bettas each in one of the 2 smaller tanks or are one or both in the 10 gallon?
Most people recommend a 5 or ten gallon. I side with the people ten or more for bettas. Mine is in a 55 and he uses all of the space.

also most people don't give bettas filters or heaters so i recommend giving them one if you haven't already (better quality of life)

And i'm currently dealing with the fry population explosion with my guppies. Good luck!!!
My mollies are pretty fat.

Right now my tank is a community tank. It's got a couple small heaters that I had lying around. My ten gallon came with a filter. As for the platy she has finally slimmed down and the dark spot is gone now. So far only three fry have gotten into the trap, the fry are killing me.

Back
Top Bottom