Hello from a Betta Lover, beginning aquarium hobbyist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betta Ray Robby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all; I'm a betta lover who's getting into a childhood fascination with aquarium with fish again. I used to stare at the aquariums of my cousins when I was very young, and a year or so ago, I thought "I want to pursue that now."

I've gotten into bettas first, and now I'm looking at what I want to try next. I'm leaning towards swordtails, guppies, Zebra Dainos, and small Plecos. Dwarf/Figure 8 puffers would be nice, but that will wait til I get more experience, as they require brackish water.

I presently have a 5.5 gallon Roman themed tank with a blue half moon betta that was given to me named Zeus (I renamed when I got him to Zeus), and he was a "rescue betta" basically, as the previous owner did anything and everything wrong, putting him in a MASON JAR (shudders), etc, and I've nursed him back to health. Sad to say, because of a piece of amethyst, he has a permanently messed up fin. He has torn fins now through a bowl mishap :( so I eagerly await now for his fins to regrow). I never want to put fish in bowls again. It's cruel, and when I did so, it was only because I couldn't afford the tanks with the proper equipment at the time.

I also have a red veil tail betta in a 2 gallon tank. I want to move him to a 5.5 gallon someday. My ultimate dream betta wise is to have a 10 gallon split tank (I will make sure I do something to make the divider opaque), and have a koi betta on one side, and a black orchid betta in the other.

I want to make my tanks as natural and friendly as possible. I like to put in some decor, but I don't like to use anything made from China when possible, as it often has paint that paints and gets into the water. I want to do planted tanks, as well. I'm thinking to get a small plant for the 5 gallon I have now. I try to get products from National Geographic, as they seem more friendly for fish.

Well, that's my aquatic aspiring, in a nutshell:dance:

oh yes...that avatar for me is my Zeus. Pretty good for a phone pic, huh?! It was in the morning when I had just woken up, and the sun caught the bowl. I moved him out of the sun after, of course lol It was such a perfect shot, so proud. I love the way the iridescence of his tail is captured in the pic :)

Good to have you here and happy that you are learning and wanting to know more about the best ways to take care of your fish and give them a happy and healthy life.

Hope you enjoy your new community.

Hi and welcome :) zeus is a handsome boy!

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Back
Top Bottom