Hello from Arizona!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seablue36

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Afternoon all,
My boyfriend and I have been reading a lot of this forum as our two tanks have grown and questions come up. I decided that it was time to become a member yesterday after a rather traumatic event. He is a saltwater enthusiast with several years of experience and I am an ocean exile living in Arizona. I was raised in Redondo Beach, California on a boat in King Harbor. First, the tanks.....

One brand new fifty five gallon saltwater reef tank with these inhabitants. Lots of Live Reef Rock
Two Ocellaris Clownfish
One Condylactis Anemone
One Undetermined Anemone (Clown Host)
One Ocelatted Dragonet
One Sailfin Tang, One Sally Lightfoot Crab
Four Snails and unknown amount of copepods and Tube Worms.
Last but not least a school of about twelve Marbled Mollys that are mostly saltwater born. The adult male is our only surviving Molly who made the transition from fresh water to salt.

Our fresh water tank is at the moment a twenty gallon but we will be moving up to the thirty gallon for them soon. The inhabitants are
One Halfmoon Plakat Betta of undetermined gender named Pat.....
An assortment of Guppys
Two Neon Tetras
A veritable forest of aquatic plants.

Traumatic event time. We added the Sailfin Tang to our one year old thirty gallon reef tank two days ago. It's a lovely juvenile. It seemed to be adjusting well that first day and was socializing with the other members of our tank but yesterday afternoon while I watched it kill our female molly for some reason. It hit her so hard that it broke her spine just above her tail and left her bloody and unable to swim. The Mollys are our oldest inhabitants and I am attached to them so I was upset. When my boyfriend came home I told him what happened and we decided to go get the fifty five gallon we had been debating buying since the day before we bought the Sailfin. We started the transition as soon as we got home and everyone seems to be quite happy today, including the Sailfin. I am watching the tank closely today and will for several more. I have since learned that the Tangs can be moody and aggressive. Right here on this site. Which is why I joined! So here I am! Thank you all!

Seablue36

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have been browsing AA for a while and have seen a lot of things that have, answered questions, raised questions and given me enough ideas to possibly keep us busy for a very long time!

Back
Top Bottom