Hello from Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tlome

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks,

I'm a noob who started fishkeeping 6 months ago at the behest of my 5 year old autist son - with a 10 gallon tank and two fancy goldfish - sigh. My lesson... RESEARCH, and so I'm here.

For the past three months I've had two aquariums which have seen no floating fish. I have 7 gallon betta tank, with filter, heater and light and a cave my betta just loves. As well I have a 10 gallon community, with a betta, 4 platties and an african dwarf frog, also heated, lit and filtered. Yes, my filters are gentle for the bettas :)

After learning the joys of cycling, I am happy to report 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and less than 20 nitrates - WOO HOO. I have yet to master partial water changing (which I do 50% weekly) without making a mess from my kitchen to my livingroom and have learned to mop AFTER changing, not before.

I confess to using test strips for all but amonia at the moment, though I have found that Big Al's carries master test kits for a reasonable price (thanks to this forum) and will be adding that to my shopping list.

I have an empty 20 gallon waiting for me to decide what to do with it - still in the research and planning stage, though with my bottle of pure ammonia ready to go.

I'm also looking at a species only tank of Dwarf Puffer fish, again in the research phase.

So, to sum up, I started with two goldfish and not a clue and now have a tiny clue and a serious addiction which is driving my husband nuts and thrilling my son and I both. Who knew watching fish could be a satisfying passtime?

I'm happy to have found this forum, and after spending time lurking have taken the plunge and joined. Couldn't be more happy to be here.

Back
Top Bottom