Hello from Colorado! Someone help! Cycling 20 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelle303

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I am new to cycling. My boyfriend just cycled his 55 gal so he knows a little. But anyways I have been researching about axolotls and decided I really wanted one so I went out and bought a 20 gal tank. Water and tetra safe start has been in since 2/25/17. I have been putting in fish food about every other day for ammonia and recently put two feeder fish in. I have been testing everyday and my water has about 1.0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20-40 nitrate. So I did some reading and people say to test the tap water so I did and everything comes out 0. My question is how did I jump to nitrates with no nitrites and hardly any ammonia? Should I do a water change? My temp is at 60 degrees. Should I make it warmer?

Hi everyone, I am new to cycling. My boyfriend just cycled his 55 gal so he knows a little. But anyways I have been researching about axolotls and decided I really wanted one so I went out and bought a 20 gal tank. Water and tetra safe start has been in since 2/25/17. I have been putting in fish food about every other day for ammonia and recently put two feeder fish in. I have been testing everyday and my water has about 1.0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20-40 nitrate. So I did some reading and people say to test the tap water so I did and everything comes out 0. My question is how did I jump to nitrates with no nitrites and hardly any ammonia? Should I do a water change? My temp is at 60 degrees. Should I make it warmer?
Hi Michelle303:

Yes, sometimes when you use a bacterial additive like SafeStart your nitrite spike happens so fast that you miss it. Your nitrate readings confirm, though, that you have nitrite-oxidizing bacteria at work, so your cycle seems to be doing well. The ammonia-oxidizing bacteria just need to catch up. It would be helpful if you could raise the temperature a bit; the bacteria seem to grow more quickly when the water is a bit warmer. As soon as your ammonia zeros out, and your nitrite remains steadily at zero, you should have a cycled tank.

Back
Top Bottom