Hello from Illinois

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnr911

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Currently I am working on setting up my first reef tank. Let me tell you it is so exciting, but confusing at the same time. Everyone has their own opinions on things and it gets to be overwhelming at times. :banghead: We have always had freshwater tanks and I love going into out LFS and seeing the corals. I decided it was time to try it out. My husband also wants to start his own FOWLR tank and that is a process too. I currently have a 75 gal tank with overflow and the guy at our LFS is making me a sump/refugium. That is about all I have so far. I am still trying to decide on lighting! There are so many options!!!

This should help! Click

I would go for a VHO if you are willing to get a chiller or a HO if your tank is shorter than 24 inches.

Haha I hear ya. Very confusing at times. Just ask as many questions as you need and welcome to the forum! :)

Just a btw, a lot of people get a protein skimmer rated for twice their tank size and omit a filter. This way you get rid of nitrates easily and don't produce as many as filter will.

Best of luck, - Raymond

Just a btw, a lot of people get a protein skimmer rated for twice their tank size and omit a filter. This way you get rid of nitrates easily and don't produce as many as filter will.

Best of luck, - Raymond

Mechanical filters have all been packed away! A protein skimmer is being ordered. It's an eshopps which I hope is a good one, but it's what the LFS guy recommended....?

Never used it but they seem to work well. To be safe you could just add some more LR or lightly stock until you are sure you enjoy the performance. :)

Out of curiosity, what does your husband plan to have in his FOWLR?

He is unsure at the moment. He fell in love with the triggers until he realized that they are not compatible with many other species. So now it's back to the drawing board. He wants a variety, but not too small of fish. :)

Haha yeah triggers are nice but they are like the oscars of the saltwater world XD

Remind him to put as much work in the clean up crew as the main stock! :)

That is what he is currently researching. He doesn't want his shrimps or crabs to be eaten by is fish! Thanks for all your advice. It's nice to know that people are willing to help us newbies who don't know that much yet.

Back
Top Bottom