Hello From Illinois

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jersysman

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my intro. I live in Illinois and have always had an interest in aquariums. I had a 75 gallon aquarium years ago (1982) and am now just starting to get back into it. Of course, everything has changed since I last had an aquarium, so I am using this forum to get the information that I need to do it correctly.

I am looking at getting either a 75 gallon or 55 gallon tank. The local pet store here in town has a 55 gallon glass one that I am looking at. This has probably been asked before, but what type of tank is better now, glass or acrylic?

I'll look around the board to see what I can find. Thanks for having me.

As another Illinois resident I say welcome to this website. I think you'll find it very helpful. If you are anywhere near central Illinois I highly suggest you visit Sailfin in Champaign. It is the best LFS I have ever visited.

Thanks for the information. I am up in Galesburg and I found 2 stores here in town. I wanted to find out if there were anything in the Peoria area as well.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice :wave:

If you can afford a 75 you will be much happer than if you get the 55. The 55 is pretty narrow and the 75 fits in almost the identical space. I bought a 55. I wish I bought a 75.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice jersysman.

Both the glass and acrylic tanks have their pros and cons.
Glass tanks are heavier then acrylic tanks.
Acrylic tanks scratch very easy.

I like the glass tanks better but thats just my opinion.

I would recommend glass tanks over acrylic unless you need one that is an unusual shape. Glass tanks are more scratch resistant and easier to clean in my opinion.

Welcome to AA

gheitman said:
I would recommend glass tanks over acrylic unless you need one that is an unusual shape. Glass tanks are more scratch resistant and easier to clean in my opinion.

This is great advice from one that has MTS. I couldn't agree with Gene more.

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably be getting a 75 gallon then. Same width, just a little more depth. I'll head down to the LFS and try to talk them into ordering one.

If you are looking for stores in the Peoria area you should try Charlie's Aquarium in Pekin. Great store, the people are very knowledgeable and they have a great variety. We got a cobalt blue cichlid there and he is the coolest guy in the tank!

Attachments

• image-72179146.jpg
    image-72179146.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image-3638655286.jpg
    image-3638655286.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom