Hello from NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadaPaul

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been lurking for a few days a thought I should post an intro before I have some actual pressing concern.

My father and I kept fish when I was a kid and up to my teen years and then I drifted away for a while as I went to college, got a job, etc. This past year my son got involved in a science fair project that involved growing a lot of algae (I know - the intentional cultivation of algae is shocking *grin*) and we were left with a lot of leftover tanks, which of course are the cheapest part of the equation, but nonetheless. For Christmas my wife and son bought me a filter, heater, hood, etc. and I am currently fishless cycling a 10 gallon (I am almost 1 week in so nothing really to report with that yet). I have the API FW Master kit after reading the forums here (that was actually the search that led me here). I also have a bottle of the crummy test strips for sale, real cheap ;)

I would like to eventually keep a small school of tetras (I am thinking 6-8 pristella x-ray or rummynose - advice on this point would be welcome) and I want to plant the tank, but the light I have is 15W, so I am still pondering whether I want to upgrade that or get low light plants. I am not ambitious about keeping a lot of fish in a small tank, I'd like the small school of tetras and some kind of small algae cleaner (recommendations?) and maybe some shrimp, but I am undecided about that. Hopefully this doesn't sound overstocked.

If anyone has a recommended lfs in the Raleigh-Durham area, I would appreciate it. I see Triangle Tropical fish in Durham but I've not been out there yet. All my equipment came from one of the two big chains nearby and there is no way I am buying any fish from them.

Anyhow, I guess that's all there is for now. I appreciate this forum, I have been poking around quite a bit and it seems active with a lot of good advice.

Thanks,

Paul

Welcome to AA!

I would defiantly go with the X-ray Pristella tetra, I have them in my 10 gallon and they look great. Theres not many Algae eating 'fish' that can fit into a 10 gallon, but inverts on the other hand do. You could try a nerite snail (Once algae starts configuring), they are great algae eaters.

Enjoy the forum :)

Back
Top Bottom