Hello from Seattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-T-T

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am new to the forum world. My boys & I have had a small 5g tank for just over a year now. We are pretty novice and trying to learn as much as we can so we can take the best care of our fish. We recently just lost a our small brown spotted Pleco. The boys & I are looking for a support/advice outlet to help make sure we are doing the best for our fish!!

Welcome to AA! Ever consider upgrading to say a 10-20G? Not much harder to maintain, if not easier. It will open up far more options for you as far as stocking. A 29/30G is one of the best "small" tanks as far as im concerned. Anyway, good luck with any future plans and welcome!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!! Our little 5g tank is down to just one lonely neon tetra. We are going out this weekend to get him some mates so that he doesn't get lonely. Any ideas on which kind of fish are best for that?
Also, I wanted to get a 10g tank aswell. Can I use my current filter in my 5g to cycle the new tank? how long should I wait until I put all the new mates together in the new tank?

Welcome, from another Washington resident (even though I live on the other end of the state)!
Did you read the link Mumma put up? Its got some good info about cycling. Yes, you can put the filter form the 5g into the 10g. It depends on what the filter is whether or not it will be enough filtration for the 10g.
Purchasing a test kit to keep an eye on water parameters really is the easiest way to know when the tank is ready IMO. If you go that routre, make sure to get a liquid kit, not test strips because the strips are not accurate. I recommend the API master kit for freshwater. :)
Just so you know, most of the common fish you see are a big big for a 10g tank, but there are still lots of really cool options for a 10g tank that will thrive. :)

J-T-T said:
Thanks to all for the warm welcome!! Our little 5g tank is down to just one lonely neon tetra. We are going out this weekend to get him some mates so that he doesn't get lonely. Any ideas on which kind of fish are best for that?
Also, I wanted to get a 10g tank aswell. Can I use my current filter in my 5g to cycle the new tank? how long should I wait until I put all the new mates together in the new tank?

The best mates for a neon is more neons! :) They need schools of their own kind so 5 more neons friends will make him very happy. You can transfer the filter from the 5g straight to the 10g and move your neon and add his buddies. You will get a mini cycle because of the increased bioload so keep a close eye on parameters and do a water change as needed. Do you have a test kit? If not pick up a API master test kit while your out. :)

Ok couldn't wait!! New 10g tank is all set up. 'later' ( the last lonely tetra) now has 7 new tank mates. 'Haps' is our new pleco; have 4 new neons and 2 new tetra fish beside the neons. Switched out the tanks using the same filter, got the API master test kit ( thanks for the heads up on that); everything looks great except that the ph is pretty high. I am almost sure that it is because of the wood we put in for 'haps'!?!? Should I be concerned about the ph for tonight. Plan retesting everything in 24hrs

Attachments

• image-3695976173.jpg
    image-3695976173.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 70
  • image-1155740601.jpg
    image-1155740601.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 50
  • image-1638058973.jpg
    image-1638058973.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 41
J-T-T said:
Ok couldn't wait!! New 10g tank is all set up. 'later' ( the last lonely tetra) now has 7 new tank mates. 'Haps' is our new pleco; have 4 new neons and 2 new tetra fish beside the neons. Switched out the tanks using the same filter, got the API master test kit ( thanks for the heads up on that); everything looks great except that the ph is pretty high. I am almost sure that it is because of the wood we put in for 'haps'!?!? Should I be concerned about the ph for tonight. Plan retesting everything in 24hrs

Nice little tank you have there! :)
Just a heads up that it looks like you've got a common pleco there and they grow to 2 foot long and aren't suited to a 10g. :(
What is your pH? Fish can adapt to pH so no need to change it. Good idea to test the water 24 hours after you add the fish. You are definitely going to have a mini cycle with all those new additions. Try and keep ammonia and nitrite under .25ppm with water changes so it doesn't harm your fish.

I agree with Mumma. Common pleco are unfortunately too big for a 10g in the long run. A pair of oto would work well though IMO, but not until the tank has been established for a bit.
The wood really shouldn't change the water chemistry significantly, especially not if its purchased wood.
I also agree that a stable pH is far more important than a specific number is in most cases. No worries. :) I like your tank. I have that croc skull in one of mine too. My fish like it a lot. :)

Hi nice to have you aboard. Come here as often as you would like to learn about this hobby. Bring your troubles, but leave the rain behind please.

Back
Top Bottom