Hello from South Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob_pr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings everyone.

I'm Rob from Miami, Just got back on the hobby a few weeks ago after taking an 8 year hiatus (life happens). I really enjoy it, hence after just a few weeks in, I have established a strong opinion that MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) should have it's own diagnostic code. lol

I currently have 4 freshwater tanks:
-5 Gal Red Cherry Shrimp tank 4 females, 1 male and 1 Blue cherry female(preggo).
-10 Gal Fry tank and 5 Celestial Pearl Danios
-26 Gal Guppy tank 2 Albino Tequila Sunrise, 2 Blue, 1 albino orange, 1 orange, 12 guppy females, 3 nerites and 2 Koi Angels - Half Dollar size (Don't worry they are guest and docile for now, it's a temporary arrangement)
-55 Gal with with an Albino Sunshine Peakock, an Orange Zebra Peacock and a Bristlenose Pleco.

The 55 Gal was a deal I got from craigslist, Apparently the owner had the best intentions but did not have the basic understanding of the hobby. I figure it out when he offered the ASP and OZP mentioned above for free because he didn't have a tank to home them. He gave them to me in a small plastic bag that had the dirtiest aquarium water I've seen. you could not see the occupants, I found out what they were after I was able to place them in the tank.
But what really gave it away was that he gave me everything including a working filter, but he had thrown away the filter cartridge because "it was dirty" :facepalm: So I took the set up and put it together in my living room. Checking the water quality very often since I don't think there's enough bacteria and might cycle. I might be wrong, I'm no expert just done this enough to have picked up on a few things. Anyways used sand for substrate and bought some rocks from a local rock garden now it looks great and more fitting for cichlids.
So far everything is fine in the 55, 10 and 5 gal, the 26 had a bacterial bloom a few days ago and my Ph has crashed twice since then, I've been able to balance it with water changes, baking soda and a little amount of salt (planted aquarium). That stabilized it but I'm still not sure what caused the Ph to crash, would appreciate any advice. I had a piece of driftwood in there because my tap water comes a slightly alkaline but it was the first thing I removed. It also has been there since the tank was set up and never caused the crash.

Again, any suggestions are always welcomed. Looking forward to learning from the community and contributing when I can.

Thanks

Rob

I'll include some cell pics and a slow mo video of one of my RCS

Attachments

• 20150411_184058.jpg
    20150411_184058.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 20150314_143456.jpg
    20150314_143456.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 20150413_190130.jpg
    20150413_190130.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20150330_174552.jpg
    20150330_174552.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 76
Could not figure out the video upload feature here so I posted it on youtube.
Here's the link

Great looking tank's :) and welcome to the forum :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Hi Rob! I love your tanks, they look great! The Koi Angels are beautiful!

Sorry, I can't be of much help in the freshwater department, but welcome to Aquarium Advice! :welcome:
You may get a few more replies if you post questions here:
Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community
or here:
Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

I think more people tend to browse those forums. Hope this helps!

:welcome: :wave: Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Thanks for the welcome and links redsea!
Glad to join melosu58, thanks!
Thank you Finntastic! You are the second person to tell me that. I'm new to cichlids so I have to read up on them. I'm planning to add more to combat aggression, Just added a canister filter and waiting to get some bacterial colonies established. I was told for the aggression it's best to add them all at once, not sure so I'm trying to find more info(concerned about adding a large bioload all at once).

Thank you Finntastic! You are the second person to tell me that. I'm new to cichlids so I have to read up on them. I'm planning to add more to combat aggression, Just added a canister filter and waiting to get some bacterial colonies established. I was told for the aggression it's best to add them all at once, not sure so I'm trying to find more info(concerned about adding a large bioload all at once).

No problem! I hope you enjoy the community! :) :)

I am new to cichlid keeping to as well. click on the link to find out my cichlid adventure.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/fish-safe-with-cichlids-334211.html

Oh, for aggression just add some decor or switch the decor around so that it either gives the new fish some territory or breaks up the old fishes territories and gives the new fish a chance.

Back
Top Bottom