Hello from South Florida!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frasted Flokes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, new member here! Been reading the forums for a lot of adivce the past few weeks and decided to make an account and become a member of the community.

I'm from sunny south florida(the gunshine state), I work as a locksmith/door technician, and have taken up freshwater aquarium keeping as a hobby about year and a half ago.

I own a 10 gallon planted tank, started out with a Betta named Bo. He lived for a little over a year under my care and I loved the hell out of him. It crushed me when he passed. For maybe the last month or so of his life I added a black mystery snail to the tank to keep him company. When Bo passed, Gus(the mystery snail) got lonely so he decided to make his own friends. Lots of them. I was discouraged after my Betta's death and only barely kept the tank up for the snails. Then a couple of weeks ago I decided to turn it into a community tank and get some zebra danios.

I had some bad luck with the local mom and pop fish store. They had a large amount of zebra danios so I was super excited to get some. Unfortunately they seemed to have some sort of fungal or bacterial infection in the tank, because when I added my fish after acclimating them, most of them began to grow white fuzz around their mouths and bodies, and did not last long. I suspect it went unnoticed until the shock and stress of a new tank weakened their immune systems and the disease took hold(I was only doing the float bag acclimation method). Since then I took to other pet stores, and have had good luck with Petco, and switched over to the drip line acclimation method.

I had one living survivor from the original disease pit that recovered after treating the tank with Pimafix to try and rid all the original fungus. Then I got him 2 other danio buddies from Petco that did well, except that the larger OG fish was super aggressive towards them. It led to one of the smaller fish being bullied so bad that he now hides in the corner under one of the plants. I call him tiny, because he's the smallest guy out of all of them. After some research I figured it was because there wasn't enough of them for a good social structure. So earlier today I brought back 2 long fin zebra danios and added them in. They are all getting along and now Tiny occasionally adventures out to explore more of the tank, yet he's still super skittish and rushes back to his hidey hole when another fish gets too close. I'm hoping that now that there is an acceptable number of fish in the school he will loosen up and come out to play with his friends.

And that's my fish story! I'm excited to become a part of this community, from what I have seen there are some super knowledgeable members out here.

Also, a pic of my tank:

Attachments

• aquarium.jpg
    aquarium.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom