Hello from Texas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frostshine

Aquarium Advice Activist
:fish2:Hey,
I am new to fish keeping, and have started breeding both guppies and zebra danios. I previously had a 1 gallon bowl and kept two betas, at different times, in there. Now I have upgraded to a 10 gallon (still small, I know) tank, and have 5 female guppies, 1 male guppy, 4 zebra danios, and 2 neon tetras (the rest died). I would love any advice you guys have for me. I can't wait to meet you guys (and girls (; )!

:fish2:Hey,
I am new to fish keeping, and have started breeding both guppies and zebra danios. I previously had a 1 gallon bowl and kept two betas, at different times, in there. Now I have upgraded to a 10 gallon (still small, I know) tank, and have 5 female guppies, 1 male guppy, 4 zebra danios, and 2 neon tetras (the rest died). I would love any advice you guys have for me. I can't wait to meet you guys (and girls (; )!

Hello, I'm from Texas too! What part are you from?
Good thing you got rid of the bowl, you need 2.5 gallons per betta
You are a little overstocked, I would keep the guppies and breed them, and add some pigmy cories, or get a 20 gallon long or more!
Welcome to AA!
Any questions?

Hello, I'm from Texas too! What part are you from?
Good thing you got rid of the bowl, you need 2.5 gallons per betta
You are a little overstocked, I would keep the guppies and breed them, and add some pigmy cories, or get a 20 gallon long or more!
Welcome to AA!
Any questions?

I'm from Austin, you? And yeah, our water wasn't right for bettas either :/. And yeah, I've close to given up on neons, they don't like our water. I'm letting them have a natural death. A 20 gallon sounds good, just as soon as I gather up some money. :)

Thanks for the response and welcome! I've actually done more research than you'd believe on these fish, but I do have one question: can I let a zebra breed in a breeder box short-term?

Hey cool I'm from el(hell) paso

I wouldn't let the zebras in the box, they will get too stressed because of the short space and won't breed
Oh and make sure that it is a 20 long, not high, you have way more options in a 20 long

I bought 5 neons, they died, then I bought. Seven, now I have one
I'm giving up on them too :/

I bought 5 neons, they died, then I bought. Seven, now I have one
I'm giving up on them too :/

So sorry that you're going through the same thing. I have no idea why they just don't live.

And okay, thanks for the tip. Do you go to Aqua Dome, or PetSmart?

That's what I thought! No one here believed me... :). Do neons tend to be more sensitive than other fish? Sorry for all the questions.

Oh no that's ok ask all you want!

Yea, neons are sensitive little fish that require very good water conditions, and a very good acclimation process, not to say a good established tank

Well, that would be why I can't keep them alive :/.

Okay, here's another one: I previously had another male, but Mizu (my current one) killed him. Is that normal behavior?

Oh, no, guppies this time. Sorry! No, the neons are very shy.

Hmmmmm, it is rare, I have kept three guppies in my tank all male, no problems, maybe that male is just mean

That's what I assumed. Now he is the only male guppy with 5 females to himself. He seems happy, and the aggression hasn't continued. Should I remove any females who are about to give birth, though?

Oh with the females that changes, I say 5 females per male to keep the aggression down
If you see a spot near the females back, and her stomach is very squared off, then yea, put her in the box

Okay, thanks for the tips and info! I look forward to keeping and breeding these fish. Thanks again for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom