hello from vegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schmidtylv

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After having freshwater tanks as a kid growing up, I have come back to the hobby after a 20+ year absence. It happened because my wife showed up at home with a 1 gallon tank and 2 goldfish. After doing a little research, I found that 1 gallon wasn't going to be enough... so I brought home the 14 gallon tank.

A few months ago I decided to get a little deeper so I brought home a 10 gallon tank. I just added a few more fish this weekend to bring the totals to 5 zebra danio and 6 neons. But I think that's gonna be it for this tank.

What really make me happy is watching my 2.5 year old son running from tank to tank saying "Hi Fish". Especially the betta that I put in the 1 gallon tank that is in his "play area" that he calls his "blue fish"

Anyways that's a brief history and now for why I joined this forum....
all of the tanks I described have plastic plants and I really want to learn how to keep live plants with the fish. I know that it is something that requires time and patience to learn the do's and don'ts.
Basically I want to use my empty 5 gallon tank as my first live plant tank. Is this possible and where do I start.

oops forgot one thing...

My ultimate goal is to learn how to keep live plants so that years from now I can work myself up to a large (200-300 gallon) tank that can serve as the main piece of "art" in my family room.

Welcome to AA. i would get a desktop lamp a cfl bulb and put it over the tank. just be careful if you are buying local since many places mark plants aquatic that are not.

Back
Top Bottom