Hello from Waxhaw, NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishmutt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and new to aquariums. I just set up a 90g tank with a built in overflow. I have a small sump a friend gave me sitting inside a 20 gallon tank underneath. I've run the water through it and it works great, although it's a bit noisy when I'm sitting right next to it. I think my pump may be too powerful (Sicce 4.0).

Using about 90 lbs of Black Diamond coal slag as my substrate with another 5 lbs of gravel for color. I washed the Black Diamond for hours before putting it in my tank and the water still got a little cloudy, but not too bad.

No plants or fish yet. Going to start cycling tonight. I bought some stuff called Stability by Seachem, hopefully it shortens the time.

I'm a complete noob at the hobby, but I have been doing my homework and am fascinated by the chemistry involved. I have 2 sheep dogs and love to feed the birds and squirrels in the backyard. I figured it was time to add an aquatic element to my home.

This forum has already provided some great advice so I thought I'd say hello and thank you.

Attachments

• Callumpool.jpg
    Callumpool.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 108
Welcome to AA, what kind of cycle are you going to do? It sounds like a great start. What type of fish are you going to put in?

Thanks!

It's a fishless cycle if I understand your question correctly rdog. I haven't decided on fish yet but I wanted a peaceful tank. I was looking at some of the "Beginner's Fish" on a website called liveaquaria.com. I think the African Dwarf frogs are really cool, but I think my 90g may be too deep for them based on what I've read.

Back
Top Bottom