Hello - GD007 in Philadelphia, PA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gd007

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello – I have been lurking for the last few days, have posted on a few threads, and thought it was time that I introduce myself, my tank, and what I hope to get from belonging to the forum.

My name is Greg, I am the father of two little girls (6 & 4), and we live in Philadelphia, PA. I used to have a 55gal tank ~8 years ago and I had five red bellied piranhas. I raised them from when they were the size of quarter to, easily, the size of my adult hand. I was not a very responsible tank owner, didn't take water measurements, had a few live plants (I think they lived), and ended up selling those piranha to a better owner. I sold the tank, moved, had kids, etc…

I now have a 55gal tank that was donated to me by a neighbor that is upsizing. I have kept the tank only and starting outfitting it this Thanksgiving long weekend. I am now into day #2 of my fishless cycling routine (see other to-be-posted experience).

My goals are simple – I want a healthy tank to have a colorful friendly freshwater community aquarium, with hardy live plants, that I can enjoy with my girls. I plan on having live bearers and have not yet decided on guppies or sailfin mollies. Again, I’m in day#2 of my cycle so I have lots of time to figure it out. I do know that I want/need a relatively self-sustaining tank (from a cleaning stand point) so I’m researching the mix. I am leaning towards a couple Assassin Snails to deal with the stowaways on the live plants. Aside from the Assassin snails, and guppies or mollys, my 55 gal tank is a blank canvas for fish planning.

As of today, 12.1.2013, the tank has:
A driftwood (purchase from lfs – figured it’d have good bacteria on it)
Several hardy live plants
Three bubblers (a bubble bar, a bubble turtle, and a Mount WannaHogALoogie)
Gravel and substrate mixed
Two (2) Penguin 350B filters – and two donated sponges from lfs
A Floramax 48”L lightbulb
Ornaments
Snails…

Attachments

• Tank_day#2_12.1.2013.jpg
    Tank_day#2_12.1.2013.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom