Hello im new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello my name is James I have a serious passion for aquatic biology and aquascaping. I was born with high functioning autism or aspergers although I am very high functioning. I have been intrigued with biology and systems at many levels. both large scale as in the ecosystem of the earth as a whole as well as small systems such as molecules since I was four. I have been above average in those areas since that age and always will have this undying passion. So I decided I will go to college and get a bachelors, masters, and phd in aquatic biology and work towards it's conservation.
I have had aquariums in my family since I was born. I now build my own with what money I can save. I currently have four freshwater aquariums in my little apartment. I can't wait to buy a house and build my masterpieces. Currently I have a 36 gallon bow front open top with live plants, two young African peacocks, and african drift wood. I Also have a brand new 29 gallon marineland led kit with fake plants, drift wood, and a nice piece of rock in it. The 29 gallon kit houses my blue rams and convict cichlids. The tank is currently cycling and is almost done. Then I have a 10 gallon neon tetra tank with live plants and African drift wood. Last is my 2.5 gallon Betta aquarium that I house my beautiful female Betta in and her name is Baby the second. I have owned many Betta fish and often train them to come to the front of the aquarium when I tap the glass or call their name.
Thanks everyone and happy fish tanking. If you have any comments or questions please ask. I'll be happy to chat and share my experience with you nothing makes me happier than my passions.
Sincerely, James

Hi, welcome :)
I've just started a freshwater tank a few weeks ago so i'm still asking a lot of questions! Somedays I sound more like a worried parent rather than an aquarium owner ....

Scottishnewbie said:
Hi, welcome :)
I've just started a freshwater tank a few weeks ago so i'm still asking a lot of questions! Somedays I sound more like a worried parent rather than an aquarium owner ....

Tell me about the new aquarium I'd like to help. That is if you would like to share with us.

Hi, my tank is a jewel trogon 190 litre. So far I have 10 neons, 10 zebra danios, 2 clown plecs, 2 elegans corys and a Siamese male fighter. Now having problems with ammonia!! So confused :(

My tap water Is 0.25 also but I have been using prime for the fresh water that I'm putting in the tank.

I'm on my phone and not sure about the liter/gallon ratio. I would initially say that the ammo is coming from the tap water and would be fine treating with prime. I'd be more concerned though as to why its not going away if the tank is cycled.

What kind of filter? Is it rated at or above a 190L tank? It might be that the tank is not keeping up with the bio load.

If you are using the API test kit, Prime and Amquel can affect the reading. I had a 75 gallon set up and was having the same problem..I use Prime and Amquel almost exclusively. My tap water was clear...surprise there :). The fish werne't in any distress but I couldn't get rid of that .25 reading. I did a search to both API and Prime, sent e-mails to both. API admitted that the test is sensitive to both Prime and Amquel. When I switched to Stress Coat as a test, the Ammonia reading went to 0.

It may be something to try as well as the other suggestions.

tlkng1 said:
If you are using the API test kit, Prime and Amquel can affect the reading. I had a 75 gallon set up and was having the same problem..I use Prime and Amquel almost exclusively. My tap water was clear...surprise there :). The fish werne't in any distress but I couldn't get rid of that .25 reading. I did a search to both API and Prime, sent e-mails to both. API admitted that the test is sensitive to both Prime and Amquel. When I switched to Stress Coat as a test, the Ammonia reading went to 0.

It may be something to try as well as the other suggestions.

I actually meant to include that. The API kit will still show the ammonia levels after its been treated with Prime. Prime detoxifies ammonia but it doesn't get rid of it. I can see this in my tanks too after a water change but the beneficial bacteria should be able to convert the ammonia within 24 hours and give you a zero reading.

Back
Top Bottom