Hello, I'm new and need schooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hagar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
***If there is a more appropriate spot to post this within the board let me know***

Hey AA Board,

First let me thank all contributors for the abundance of useful information for new aquarium owners like myself. Before registering for the board, I tried to read most of the posts here and elsewhere suited toward beginners like myself. I'm taking things slowly and starting with a small tank and eventually just 1 fish. Below is everything I have for my aquarium:

~ Fluval 5 Gallon Spec V (rinsed with water upon arrival)

~ 5 Gallons of filtered distilled water

~ A bottle of Fluval biological enhancer and a bottle of Fluval water conditioner

~ Tetra easy test strips 6 in 1

~ 5 lb bag of Stoney River white aquatic sand (will rinse in bucket)

~ 5 pieces of 6 inch long natural cholla wood (will rinse in bucket) (probably won't place all 5.)

~ 1 lb bag of Hewnda decorative glass beads. (will rinse in bucket)

~ May buy a heater when I decide on the fish. Currently considering neon tetra, red barbs, and fantail guppies.

Again, I'm taking it slow and starting with the basics. Anything I forgot to cover before I start cycling?

Thanks in advance.

Great job!
I’d also suggest getting a heater but good idea pick which kind of fish first.
Personally the tetra 6 in 1 is pretty unreliable on its own, can help identify nitrite and nitrate spikes, but that’s about it. (I understand they can be pretty expensive though, sorry)

I’d get a PH kit, I have to adjust my PH every time I do a water change as the water from my tap is very alkaline.

Also ammonia is a very common issue for new tanks so I would get an ammonia testing kit .its better than freaking out about a lethargic fish and having no resources to conclude what it is.

Some people might suggesting getting the API liquid master kit but it is quite expensive. So try to get the important ones like PH and Ammonia maybe Nitrate/nitrite

Best of luck!

If you can get guppies from a local breeder they will be more hardy and you can skip the heater. Only get males or females to prevent breeding (or else you'll need more tanks). The tetras will need an absolute minimum of 10g because they to school (6+ fish). Same with the barbs. You could do a single betta or pea puffer. Tons of personality.
As for the cycling I imagine you are doing a fishless cycle? Put everything in first so your beneficial bacteria has places to grow. Are you adding bottled ammonia or fish food as an ammonia source to start?

Thanks everyone for the advice. It is making things easier.

Ive decided to save the bottled water for the next pandemic and just go with my own tap water.
The Fluval water conditioner I bough will get rid of the chlorine, chloramine and other metals.
The tetra test strips come with separate ammonia tests so I can monitor those levels.
I'm also going to buy a heater, seems like even if the fish don't require it, it won't hurt. I will keep in mind the temp to avoid unwanted algae growth.

Now for the plants and cycling.

I do want to add 2 plants to the tank. What low maintenance plants do you recommenced? Can these plants thrive without me adding anything to the sand I'm using :
5 lb bag of Stoney River white aquatic sand (will rinse in bucket)
~ 5 pieces of 6 inch long natural cholla wood (will rinse in bucket) (probably won't place all 5.)
~ 1 lb bag of Hewnda decorative glass beads. (will rinse in bucket)

And keep in mind amazon is my personal pet shop since everything is closed.

Final question, nutrient levels (and again if this is answered elsewhere on the board sorry, please point me to that direction.)

Looks like cycling makes you walk a fine line between too much and not enough of some chemicals/nutrient. So as I go along testing my water, what results should be the goal before adding fish?

Hi hagar

If you are doing a fishless cycle, i would recommend getting Dr Tims ammonium chloride as its specifically for fishless cycling. You could go with trying to source pure ammonia but if you get the wrong product (ie it is perfumed bleach) then it wont work.

Dose upto 4ppm ammonia, add in bottled bacteria (eg seachem stability) as per instructions and let the tank run. Test for ammonia and you should see the level drop over time. When the ammonia is dropping, test also for nitrites and nitrates. Whenever your ammonia levels drop below 1ppm redose it back upto 2ppm. If your nitrites goes off the chart, you might want to do a water change to bring it down to readable levels. After a period of time you will start to see nitrates. This is the home straight. Keep checking for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Your tank will be cycled once you dose 2ppm ammonia and after 24 hours you have 0ppm ammonia and nitrites. Do a large water change to get the nitrates below 10ppm and you can stock.

This is the fishless cycle guide that tends to get pointed to.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/tips-and-tricks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/

With regards to a beginner plant i cant recommend java fern enough. It doesnt require much light or much of anything. It doesnt even need planting. Just tie or glue (cyanoacrylate) the rhyzone to a piece of rock or decoration to weight it down. Its bullet proof.

Taking everyone's advice - API freshwater master test kit (Sounds like Tetra strips sucks, so i'm returning and buying API)

I started with Seachem prime and stability which both worked for me =) I did fish-in, so it was really fervant water changes every 2-3 days to keep my ammonia levels manageable. also, the end goal is 0 ammonia and nitrites.

waterweed (anacharis) is a great beginner plant and it grows fast, easy to grow. Easy to snip and replant too!

Thanks Aiken
Amazon can't ship Dr. Tim's for about a week, so I'm looking at alternatives.
Went with Fritz Pro Ammonium Chloride

Amazon just delayed my order of 5 lb bag of Stoney River white aquatic sand, crap.

I think I'll go with the Carib Sea Super natural torpedo beach sand. I have a theme in my mind... White sand, colorful glass stones, neon/bright colored fish and light colored drift wood. I think my daughter will love it.

GloFish

I just want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. You folks really helped me out.

Now for a subjective question: How do you feel about GloFish? Specifically tetra. My goal is a tank with crazy colors throughout (decor, lighting, and the main attraction(s.) I found these creatures online and they've made an impression. Any current or former GloFish keepers? If so, are there reputable places to buy? Thanks in advance.

Glofish need about 20 gallons. They are all schooling fish and the tetra glofish (aka skirt tetras) and tiger barb glofish get nippy when kept in less than 6.

I keep glo fish tetras & sharks. Make sure to pick out the fastest most healthy tetras in the tank... Btw I have a long fin glofish tetra as well!

Small tank like that limits choices. Pea puffers are awesome if you're ok with a single inhabitant. Celestial pearl danios are awesome, you could get 10 in there with proper weekly maintenance. These are not exactly entry level fish so guppies may be a good jump off.

I've decided to go with a couple of fantail guppies and a African dwarf frog. But first tank cycling.

Tank Cleaner

Any recommendations on a gravel/sand cleaner? I would be willing to invest in an electric/battery powered device. Thanks

Any recommendations on a gravel/sand cleaner? I would be willing to invest in an electric/battery powered device. Thanks
How about a python? Works off the tap, and is a really effective water change/gravel syphon system. I dont have one, but plan on getting one. Anyone with any experience of these? They are only available online in the UK i believe. Ive never seen one in store.

https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/s...DFNzlUWRabhGHqH6ri0jj1a6qyu9A2fBoCN70QAvD_BwE

Edit: Sorry. I think this is overkill for your small tank. Just get a simple syphon.

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/multi-gravel-washer

Hi Everyone. Just want to thank everyone who has helped me over the past few weeks. Cycling is going well, but it looks like I have a KH and GH issue.

Day 16 of Fishless cycle of a % gallon tank. I try and maintain 80-82 degrees.
Current levels:
(Using API test kits for all tests)

Ph - 7.4
Ammonia - 1.5
Nitrite - 5
Nitrate - 20
KH – 11 Drops
Gh – 22 Drops

If any of you are familiar with the API GH/KH test kits, based on the number of drops, what exactly are my levels? Is it simply the # drops = degrees. Even writing this I'm irritated that I can't figure it out. But I know it needs to be corrected before I can add fish.

Do I simply replace a gallon from tank with distilled water? Should I purchase a product?

Back
Top Bottom