hello im new and this is my first saltwater aquarium :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mlopez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello everyone my name is mark. this is my first time setting up a saltwater tank, i am trying to keep this tank simple and dont want to pour too much money into it but still want to do this properly.
i have decided to go with a FOWLR set up :)
i got a free 120L tank (im Australian) off a friend and found 2 aqua one internal 350L/H filters at work (i work at a recycling center) they were brand new in the box !

on saturday i went to the LFS and picked up a new 150w heater, in tank hydrometer and a 4kg bag of red sea salt which perfectly mixes 120L of water
i got home set my tank up filled it with water, treated it with dechlorinator, mixed in the salt and set up my heater and 2 filters up and left it do do its thing.

today i woke up and checked the specific gravity of the water. it is currently reading 1.024 and water temp is 25 degrees.
i had a spare bag of aragonite sand in the garage that i put in a bucket and cleaned thoroughly. with a cup i scooped up the sand and spread it over the bottom of the tank. i then went to the LFS and purchased 5kg of cured live rock and put that in the tank and adjusted the filters to be directing current around the rock

this is my first time and im hoping what i have done so far has been correct. from what i understand i need to let the tank cycle for a few weeks ? to develop bacteria. do i have to do water changes as normal every week or would that effect the bacteria ?
also is it safe to add a couple clown fish anytime soon ? i read that people put fish in to help cycle a new tank ?
any help would be appreciated im here to learn :)

Attachments

• photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 67
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 57
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 66
You have basiccly everything you need! All my 65 gallon is is sand, a lil crushed coral, rock , filter , heater ,light... You really don't need a lot of fancy extras :) love your tank by the way!! Cool piece of !! rock your on a great track!!! Any idea what stock you want? And do you know how big the tank is in gallons?

Welcome aboard mate.
The link a few posts above should tell you everything you need to know.
Please spare the clown fish until your tank has cycled.
Looks like you are all set otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom