Hello Im New Here :) Fresh Water Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry79

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all :)

My name is Larry and my wife's name is Lindsey. Me and my wife decided we wanted a fish tank and took up the hobby. We just got set up last night and plan on some common gold fish once the tank cycles. We decided on a fishless cycle. We got everything from petsmart and I think we may have made a mistake already by listening to the employees there (Bacteria Supplement being my main concern). I hope not but please chime in some advice if you feel the need. I know its important we start out good for a timely and stable cycle.

I have a 24x48 60 gallon tank. Employee suggested 2 filters for each end due to a long tank. 2x Marineland Bio-Wheel Penguin 200 with no other media other then what came with the filters (bio wheel and carbon filter). Also suggested to get 2 heaters again because of the long tank, so we got 2 Aqueon 100 watt Submersibles placed at each end set to about 78~79 for the cycle temp (tank slowly warming up currently 72). I have 50lbs big pebble substrate (rinsed multiple times and and hand turned till water was clear), 2 large ordainments, and all artificial plants which were all rinsed as well. 12 inch Air Stone with a Tetra Whisper 60.

We decided not to go that route with the bacteria supplement after reading the "The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling" here and originally our plan was the natural fishless way until that employee talked us into buying that supplement. Used TopFin Tap Water Dechlorinator. After using it Ph is 7.2~7.6 in tank. I see plenty people here talking about Prime though (we have very hard water here). We did put some of that bacteria supplement in after the dechlorinator, but we haven't put any ammonia in yet (will start today). This is where Im mostly concerned and I hope we haven't already ruined it with the supplement now. Im sure Ill be asking plenty of questions soon. So yeah I guess that's it. Wish us luck!

Larry & Lindsey :)

Added a video but I don't know if its too big or not.

Back
Top Bottom