Hello everyone, I am kind of new to this and looking for some help. I am a junior in high school and an animal nut. I have a bearded dragon named PUff. Most notably I am a storm chaser(technically).
In middle school i had a 29 gallon setup so i know some basic stuff, but I failed at a lot of things so could probably do better. Anyway I am setting it back up now and honestly could use a complete noob guide. I got it set up actually 2 days ago, then stole some of my sisters water(she is also a fishy noob, and has had hers for a couple weeks) because i was impatient. Now i have a balloon bellied mollie, a Cremecicle Lyretail Molly, a mickey mouse platty and a red wag platty in there and getting more once i get things figured out a little better.
Right now I have my 29 gallon tank with a Marineland penguin 150 filter and a cheep heater that i can not think of the brand(gets the job done
anyway). Not really any hiding space or decorations other than one fake plant right now because i have stuff to put in but can not seem to be able to find it.
At this point i am going to ramble on and ask a bunch of questions, so if you are not in an answering mood, or if you think i should stop being lazy and should ask these questions in different threads than i would stop reeding now and if you could direct me to where i should be posting this.
I guess the points I would like to raise(very random by the way):
1. how much should i be feeding my fish
2.what are the benifits of plants and which are the easiest to care for.
3. algae control, my first tank had problems with algae like you wouldn't believe. To the point where the glass would be green the water would be murk enough that i couldnt see the back within a couple days of cleaning and using Algaefix to nock it out. what are the reasons behind that and how do i prevent it from happening again.
4. any other major things i should know about.
5. just interesting to bring up and see if anybody knows this. I had plant in my tank once that started sprouting roots from the leaves(weird right?), when something caused part of a leaf to break off it could start a new plant. anybody heard of this and or know what kind of plant this would be?
6.I used to have an absolutely awesome beta. dark gray, very clean perfect looking body, fins that where light blue at the base and grew darker the farther out they went. by the end they where a very dark blue with light grey tips. Sadly this fish developed a big bulge on its head and eventually died(took a few months, hope it wasnt suffering
). What would have caused this?
7. oh ya, is there a recomended temperature more accurate than the general guidelines.
8. This kind of confuses me. right now my two plattys are content with eachother, but my lyretail molly attacks the micky mouse platty, but not the red wag platty. and the balloon bellied molly just attacks the lyretail. Is there anything i can do to keep them from killing eachother?
9. any recomendations to keep my cat off of the tank. he cant get at the fish but he shouldnt be up there.
10. I also plan on getting another tank and keeping cichleds, any thing i need to know on that?
thank you for your time!