hello. need help with my tank cycling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosswalt90

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok long story so i bought a 60 gallon tank a month ago. i tried to do a fishless cycle. after two weeks of using top fin. my readings were ammonia 1ppm nitrite .25ppm nitrate 0. then i had a bacterial bloom for the next 2 weeks . after it cleared up i took a sample to petsmart and they told me my water was ready to add fish. i went and got 15 African cichlids, and put them on the tank. i also bought a master test kit the same day. test the water and ammonia 2ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrates 0ppm. so i rush up to petsmart and buy prime and stability. im on day 7 and same results. i have done 50% water changes every other day because the ammonia jumps to 2ppm, and it go down to 1ppm but the nitrite and nitrates are still 0ppm. i dont know what to do besides double dose the water then do water changes when the ammonia get too hight but nothings changing. also i test my tap is .50ppm ammonia.

The problem with taking a sample to the fish store and them telling you its good to add fish is that they have no idea. How much ammonia was you dosing? How long did it take to cycle out? The water test alone will only tell you what your parameters are at the moment you took out the water, and not if the tank is cycled.

You should be cycling out 2ppm ammonia to 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrite in 24h to be considered cycled. Did your fish store ask you those questions?

A fishless cycle typically takes 3 to 8 weeks, normally the latter.

As to what to do.

- Carry on with what is now a fish in cycle. Test daily, and do water changes sufficient to keep ammonia + nitrite combined below 0.5ppm. This might be daily, big changes for a number of weeks if you are heavily stocked.

- Return the fish and complete your fishless cycle.

It’s unfortunate that they would sell you that many fish given the newness of the tank. I’m grateful I have access to a local store that’s been in business over 40 years. It’s the only one left, but business is always booming.

Back
Top Bottom