Hello New Member and platy fry???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrandiW88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just joined the forum. I am a mother of 1 and a house wife. I recently got my son a fish tank and fish for going to the bathroom. Every week he does well we add fish to his tank! So far we have 3 female platies, 2 swordtails one male one female, and one clear tiger tetra. Not sure on the sex of that one. I have just added 2 platies to my tank 2 days ago, and yesterday I seen 6 babies in the tank, none of the females looked pregnant so I'm very confused how they got in there. They look like both breeds of platies so I'm not sure where they came from. My swardtails also are very young. The male hasen't yet gotten his swardtail.

Welcome to aa. I hate to be the one who says it but those fish are to big for 10g... And also how did you cycle your tank? Also is the tiger tetra a tiger barb? Either way the probably need to be in a school and will nip and most likely eat the babies...

Well Hob I don't see where she says what size tank it is to begin with. Also, she said the fry were in her tank not in his with the tiger barb. Just sayin'

Iceman29 said:
Well Hob I don't see where she says what size tank it is to begin with. Also, she said the fry were in her tank not in his with the tiger barb. Just sayin'

It says the size of the tank in the profile... And I'm pretty sure she is talking about the same tank. She added the two plays and saw that there were some fry in the tank... If the fry has a bunch of plants to hide in they will be fine. The majority will survive.

But if the question is where the fry came, a lot of the time the females will be pregnant from the store...

My tetra is actually an Albino Pristella Tetra and is very happy with the other fish. My fish all get along very well and I just found these babies. I don't know where they came from. I don't know what I'm to even do with them. I don't have any males other than the swordtail and he is very young about 2 months.

The tank is a 10 gallon. I have 4 adult fish and 2 that are 2 months old. (My sister in law gave me them.) There are plants and stones and figures for the babies to hid in but there are only 6 and the same 6 have been there for over 24 hours now. I don't need babies. My fish all get along. They don't nip at eachother or anything. They school together. It is funny to watch them as they run around the tank together it is like they talk to each other. Fish are fascinating! The guy from the store told me that I could put all these fish in together and not have a problem and that there isn't to many fish in the tank together? Why do you say that there are to many fish in together Hob? I bought the whole tank set. The filter is for a 30gallon tank, but the guy I bought the stuff from said that I will need a bigger filter because the ones for 10 gallon tanks are actually only for a 5 gallon tank. So he set me up with the system I have. I don't know how to take care of fish in detail. This is my first fish tank. They are doing very well! The water isn't cloudy I take my water in every 2 weeks to be tested. I don't know how to do a water change when I need to or anything like that.

BrandiW88 said:
The tank is a 10 gallon. I have 4 adult fish and 2 that are 2 months old. (My sister in law gave me them.) There are plants and stones and figures for the babies to hid in but there are only 6 and the same 6 have been there for over 24 hours now. I don't need babies. My fish all get along. They don't nip at eachother or anything. They school together. It is funny to watch them as they run around the tank together it is like they talk to each other. Fish are fascinating! The guy from the store told me that I could put all these fish in together and not have a problem and that there isn't to many fish in the tank together? Why do you say that there are to many fish in together Hob? I bought the whole tank set. The filter is for a 30gallon tank, but the guy I bought the stuff from said that I will need a bigger filter because the ones for 10 gallon tanks are actually only for a 5 gallon tank. So he set me up with the system I have. I don't know how to take care of fish in detail. This is my first fish tank. They are doing very well! The water isn't cloudy I take my water in every 2 weeks to be tested. I don't know how to do a water change when I need to or anything like that.

You should invest in a test kit the api master liquid test kit is what most of us on here use and trust as for water changes you turn off your filter heater ext.. the take out anywhere from 25%-50% of the water depending on your levels there is a link with a good article that will help with info that you need im not at a computer so i cant get it for you

Anything you hear at a pet store should be researched... Mollies like a lot of swimming room which the 10gallon does not provide. A lot of fish stores just want to make a sale. If the fish is suppose to live for 5 years in a proper environment they don't make much money. If they sell that same fish to a smaller tank the fish will get stunted, stressed, and pass away a lot sooner then it's suppose. This way the store sells more fish. The right store would give you an Oscar for your tank. Petsmart trains their employees for selective selling so they can push the product onto the customer.

Now I'm not saying you did anything wrong. It's not your fault. If you research the fish that you have you can find out more about them like schooling sizes, tank sizes, and water param.

As for the babies if you don't want them then don't worry about them. The will just be fish food and if not you can take them to your lfs and get something for them or a store credit maybe.

Anything you hear at a pet store should be researched... Mollies like a lot of swimming room which the 10gallon does not provide. A lot of fish stores just want to make a sale. If the fish is suppose to live for 5 years in a proper environment they don't make much money. If they sell that same fish to a smaller tank the fish will get stunted, stressed, and pass away a lot sooner then it's suppose. This way the store sells more fish. The right store would give you an Oscar for your tank. Petsmart trains their employees for selective selling so they can push the product onto the customer.

Now I'm not saying you did anything wrong. It's not your fault. If you research the fish that you have you can find out more about them like schooling sizes, tank sizes, and water param.

As for the babies if you don't want them then don't worry about them. The will just be fish food and if not you can take them to your lfs and get something for them or a store credit maybe.

The babies all got eaten as of a few minutes ago. One of my platies was like searching the bottom for them. My fish seem very happy though. I don't fully understand... They swim all through the tank with each other, and get along very well! I will keep an eye on them and if I notice that they are unhappy I will get a bigger tank. But for now they are doing very well!

Did you research what they need? Looking happy and being happy are to different things. They will get stunted. That is when the internal organs keep growing but the outside doesn't... Very painful on your fish and will cause them to die way before they are suppose to. Fish do not grow to the size of the aquarium...

I would look into something in the area if a 30 gallon. You can find them pretty cheap and that should give them plenty if room to grow

Back
Top Bottom