Hello! Newbie looking for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fredje

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I'm completely new to fish tanks! Started off my new hobby with buying a 50l (13g) tank, after doing some reading put down 2 layers of gravel (bottom one with plant substrate) and stocked it with plants and a decoration. The tank has a heater (back left behind plant) and an internal filter (back right).

While I'm waiting for the tank to stabilise, I thought it would be good to get some ideas on fish combos.

I like the thought of a 'center piece' fish (e.g. honey/dwarf gourami or other) in combination with a school (neons? rasboras? platies? pygmy coradoras? danios? ...) and possible a few shrimp.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2nk1i4z.jpg
    2nk1i4z.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 89
Hi fishyperson3010. I think so (?), what I meant by waiting for the tank to stabilise is that I'm doing a fishless cycle. I filled the tank with 50/50 rain/tap water and after putting in the plants I added water conditioner. In a week or so I'll measure the water for the first time.

Fredje said:
Hi fishyperson3010. I think so (?), what I meant by waiting for the tank to stabilise is that I'm doing a fishless cycle. I filled the tank with 50/50 rain/tap water and after putting in the plants I added water conditioner. In a week or so I'll measure the water for the first time.

Don't forget an ammonia source to get it going. The link above might help. Good luck

Thanks for your fast response! I did not add ammonia -- thanks for the link, I will read it on this rainy day.

I have test strips with pH, kH, gH, NO3 and NO2 levels on each strip.

Fredje said:
Thanks for your fast response! I did not add ammonia -- thanks for the link, I will read it on this rainy day.

I have test strips with pH, kH, gH, NO3 and NO2 levels on each strip.

Test strips are very inaccurate I would buy a liquid test kit such as the api one. Are you from the uk if so go on amazon.

Fredje said:
Hello,

I'm completely new to fish tanks! Started off my new hobby with buying a 50l (13g) tank, after doing some reading put down 2 layers of gravel (bottom one with plant substrate) and stocked it with plants and a decoration. The tank has a heater (back left behind plant) and an internal filter (back right).

While I'm waiting for the tank to stabilise, I thought it would be good to get some ideas on fish combos.

I like the thought of a 'center piece' fish (e.g. honey/dwarf gourami or other) in combination with a school (neons? rasboras? platies? pygmy coradoras? danios? ...) and possible a few shrimp.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

As for fish I'm not really sure go onto aqadvisor. This is a useful Guide when getting fish but isn't 100% accurate. You might be a bit pushed for neons and a gourami. You should look into the nano fish such as Pygmy corys and mosquito Rasbora. Also look into a Pygmy gourami. Shrimp would be fine. You could also do a shrimp only tank and get a large colony set up. IMO

Thanks again fishyperson3010, you've been very helpful.

I ordered an API master kit and will pick up some pure ammonia when I get the chance (just sprinkled a bit of fishfood for now). I agree with you that too many 2" fish (e.g. dwarf Gourami and school of neons) will look disproportioned to the rather small 13g tank, despite the green light of aqdvisor. I have some time to think about it as the tank cycles.

Fredje said:
Thanks again fishyperson3010, you've been very helpful.

I ordered an API master kit and will pick up some pure ammonia when I get the chance (just sprinkled a bit of fishfood for now). I agree with you that too many 2" fish (e.g. dwarf Gourami and school of neons) will look disproportioned to the rather small 13g tank, despite the green light of aqdvisor. I have some time to think about it as the tank cycles.

As I said look at nanos there are loads of really nice fish (y) Also make sure it is PURE ammonia without any perfumes etc which will harm your fish even after the cycle is over. Once again good luck and keep us updated on your progress :)

Question: How do I know if my tank has cycled, or whether the cycle never took place?

I've been adding fish food into the tank 4 times over the past week, and I see some old flakes on the bottom with fungus on it.
NO2 has been 0 in every test, and I tested ammonia for the first time today, also at 0.

My tank has had plants in it from day 1 (see page 1), which compete with bacteria for ammonia.

Thanks for your help!

Fredje said:
Question: How do I know if my tank has cycled, or whether the cycle never took place?

I've been adding fish food into the tank 4 times over the past week, and I see some old flakes on the bottom with fungus on it.
NO2 has been 0 in every test, and I tested ammonia for the first time today, also at 0.

My tank has had plants in it from day 1 (see page 1), which compete with bacteria for ammonia.

Thanks for your help!

Add more ammonia your tank will not be cycled yet but when it is, it will be when you dose up to 4 ppm of ammonia and it is gone within 24 hours also plants don't eat ammonia but nitrAtes. Also if you don't yet have nitrItes then you need to add ammonia more often

I'm having trouble finding pure ammonia. Will see if my pharmacist can order me some.

Thanks FP

I live in the burbs of Brussels but some UK etailers (like Amazon.co.uk) ship here.

Pretty well. I already moved on to a 180 liter tank because the lid and light fixture got broken on the old one. Introduced some assassin snails today to take care of tiny snails that seem to be multiplying in my tank. It's great to get advice from you and others on this forum, makes taking up this hobby so much easier.

Back
Top Bottom