Hello one and all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishcraze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ah, full circle once again lol. I have been a long time saltwater aquarist but I was seriously burnt out and gave it up several years ago. I have convinced the wife though that maybe it's time to try a smaller freshwater tank and see how it goes.

So the fun part begins......buying equipment lol! I don't think it's going to cost anywhere near what my saltwater equipment cost me. In fact, I was just looking over lights and I'm relieved to not be spending thousands this go around. I w bought a 45 gallon tank from a seller online. It's 24" deep and I'm planning on keeping live plants so yea, just looking over the LED options. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Finnex Ray2 36" fixture. Hoping that it will provide the light I need while still being aesthetically pleasing.

I guess I will ask my first question while I'm here. I did look over the various substrates for live plants but it seems that there is no perfect answer. Some have even opted to mix substrate types. In any case, I don't know exactly what I'm going to plant yet. I thought I would start with some hearty plants I saw in tubes at Petsmart. Any suggestions on a good general substrate would be appreciated as well as thickness.

Thanks again and I'll see ya around,

John

Hi John, welcome to the forum :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

I guess I will ask my first question while I'm here. I did look over the various substrates for live plants but it seems that there is no perfect answer. Some have even opted to mix substrate types. In any case, I don't know exactly what I'm going to plant yet. I thought I would start with some hearty plants I saw in tubes at Petsmart. Any suggestions on a good general substrate would be appreciated as well as thickness.

:welcome:

Glad you could join us here and that it's on the "green" side of the hobby. :)

I think you like the Finnex lights. I have a "Planted+" on my 20g-long and I'm very happy with it. The kind of plants you can grow with yours depends a lot on the distance from the lights to the substrate -- what are the dimensions of the tank?

Since you're just getting into plants, you'll probably do best to start with the low to medium-light plants that don't need added CO2, plants such as anubias, java fern and java moss, and the various cryptocorynes. Look for videos by a user named "Pecktec" on YouTube: he's done some great things with these plants.

There is a wealth of substrates on the market, aren't there? With the plants I described above, you really won't need a dedicated-to-plants substrate, though you'll want to get some root tabs for the crypts and Amazon swords, if you get one of those. I like about 1.5-2" of substrate in a tank.

And be sure to start a "build" thread (with pics) for this tank. :)

:welcome:

what are the dimensions of the tank?

Hi Barliman and thanks for taking the time to reply. It's a busy world out there and it's nice to know there are helpful people around. The dimensions of my tank are 13"L x 36"W x 24"H. I realize this is not ideal. I remember having a similar shape in the past and hated the depth fron to back. Also, with this depth, it makes it a little harder to work on. Nonetheless, I got the tank, stand and equipment for $100 so I can't really complain. It's an Aqueon brand from Petsmart. I guess I can't really count the equipment since it's all going in the trash. I want the tank as close to the wall as possible so I will not be using the HoB filter. There is a canister made by Cascade that seems popular. It is said to pump 100g an hour so I think that will work good for this 45g. But I won't bore everyone with the details here.

Regarding the substrate, I was asking because there are four that I have narrowed it down to but can't decide beyond that. The four are:

EcoComplete
Fluorite
Laterite
Aquasoil

Thanks for the advice on starting a tank thread. I will take my ramblings over there. Peace! ?

Back
Top Bottom