? Hello to All! ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollja

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to this group, and I'm so excited to join! I started back into having an aquarium last summer after 20+ years renting in places that did not allowing fish tanks.

I found this group because I was looking up info on setting up my "new-to-me" 150 gallon tank. I wasn't wanting it to fall through my 70+ year old oak flooring.

I need to build a new stand for it, the one it came with was particle board with alot of water damage; it was crumbling apart around the bottom. My new stand is going to be made with oak plywood. All of the real oak trim and doors from the old one were in pretty good shape, so when I tore apart the old one I kept those to reuse them in the new one.

I am thinking about putting a coat or two of Pond Armor on the top surface of my new stand to try and keep the top of it looking nice for many year to come. Does anyone have some advise on that? I'm thinking it might help prevent water stains.

The hood that came with it needs the water damage inside sanded down and refinished. I'm thinking of using the Pond Armor on the inside to help prevent more water damage from the evaporation. The hood was built with plywood, I don't understand why they used particle board for the base.

I plan to reseal the tank once it is on the stand, just in case the seal was tweaked some in the move, and it is an older tank. It will be my first reseal job, and I feel pretty confident about it. There are some really good videos on youtube showing how to do it. It looks similar to recaulking a bathtub, but without the use of any chemicals to remove the old caulk (just carefully use a razor. But just in case, I would love some pointers from anyone that has some firsthand experience.

I want to repair/replace what I need to to make the setup look as new as possible. I'd rather take my time and do it right, than just doing it enough to get by, and risk losing my whole tank setup, not to mention my fish. In the long run, it will be definitely worth it.

Anyone else have a good summer project that they are taking on for their fish friends?

I found this group when I was googling for advice on getting proper support to the floor joists, and on what I need to do to evenly distribute the weight of this over 300 lb tank, and that is when it is empty. With the new stand, filled tank, and the top, it is going to be very heavy, and again, I want to do it right.

Currently, I have two 55s, a 45 tall, a 30, 13 wide width, and 5 gallon tanks all set up. And am eager, and soooo excited to get my 150 gallon, the largest tank I have ever had, up and going. I will post a picture when it is finished; I'm sure that my 18" pleco and my 12" knifefish will love the extra room. ?

Back
Top Bottom