Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martha.isabel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. I have a 4ft 185 litre freshwater tank

I have 3 bala sharks
2 clown loaches
5 serpe tetras
2 black widow tetras
And 1 male dwarf gourami.

My partner and I are arguing over adding gourami's or angels.
My first question is can these 2 fish both be added to my tank. And my second question is how can I keep multiple gourami's when trying to keep the aggression at a minimum

(Also I am aware the bala's and the loaches will outgrow this tank but they are currently only about 5cm ATM) this is my tank ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407050349.529327.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was told angels are a little aggressive and when they get bigger they give the smaller fish a hard time. Molly's would be a good add to your tank too. You can get black or dalmation for some variety.

Thanks for replying!! No one seems to reply, this is my second post and not a lot of advise really.

I've heard that angels are better if you get them very young and they grow up with the smaller fish.

Do you have any advise on gourami's?

Thanks!!!

Yes get small angels.

Hey! Sorry I didnt respond sooner!

Angels can be rather finicky about water conditions and will do better in a larger tank so you should abstain. However if you do get them, don't get the gouramis because they like to both control the top of the tank. If you do get smaller angels, make sure your parameters are nice and stable and get them as babies.

Since you have a 50 gallon, I would get multiple dwarf gouramis and provide a lot of hiding places. When you get dwarfs them, try to get 1 male and the rest female and this will keep aggression to a minimum. I'm not sure what you look for in your gourami's, but a good gourami to have is the sparkling gourami. They like to be kept in a harem so 1 male to 3 females. So theoretically you could have 2 males and 6 females and be safe. They are rather peaceful when it comes to gourami's, and look very nice imo.

Hope I helped, - Raymond

I have never seen sparkling ones at any fish shops around here. Only on a live fish website but doesn't state weather male or female

Heads up with Molly's they are very temperamental when it comes to water quality. My ph dropped just a tad and over night I lost my Dalmatian molly

Oh okay thanks for the heads up! Any recommendations with what I already have?

Unfortunatley no, I just chimed in because someone said something about Molly's so I figured I would warn you. I am new myself so still learning. I started by researching fish that I think look cool and the cross off the ones that are not compatible

I had 4 blue gouramis in a 29 gallon and they picked on all the other tanks mates. :( We gave them away because they were always chasing the others and occasionally picking on the corydoras:(

Back
Top Bottom